Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me save this

5 posters

Go down

Help me save this Empty Help me save this

Post  Kris Wed May 17, 2017 12:39 am

Hi everybody!  We have new neighbors and they ripped this boxwood out of the ground.  I'd like to try to save it if at all possible and style as bonsai.  It sat root-bare in the hot sun for two days before I found it and as you can see, they did a number on the trunk when they took it out.  Do you think it's salvageable and if so, what's my best course of action?

Thanks for any advice and feel free to tell me if I'm embarking on a fools errand!

Kris

It's about 4ish feet tall.
Help me save this Img_2010

They took a pretty good chunk out of the trunk
Help me save this Img_2011

Help me save this Img_2012

Help me save this Img_2013

Kris

Back to top Go down

Help me save this Empty Re: Help me save this

Post  Dave Murphy Wed May 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Bare rooted and left in the sun for 2 days means it's firewood. You can pot it up in a good free draining mix, place in the shade, mist multiple times a day but only water sparingly (when the upper soil surface is drying) and see what happens, but don't hold your breath.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Wed May 17, 2017 4:17 pm

I'm with Dave but add it is not worth the work or the soil. (and trunk base is ugly as sin)

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  Kris Wed May 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought...

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendanR Wed May 24, 2017 12:12 pm

What did you do in the end?

I'd have cut away 90 - 95% of the top leaving just a bit of green near the bottom. Then tie it carefully and tight into a deep pot with free draining medium and then cover it all up in a black bin liner bag and keep it moist. These are tough hedging trees, and you never know.

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  Kris Wed May 24, 2017 9:39 pm

I soaked the roots for a while and then planted it in my yard where it will stay moist, but well drained. I was afraid to cut too much away b/c it had already gone through so much I didn't know if that would be final death blow. I figure if it survives until next year I'll start working on it then.

Anyway, it seems to be looking good for the moment.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:07 pm

What about the hatchet job on the trunk?
That alone would have had me just walk on by.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Kris Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Yes, that was a consideration of mine too. But I just decided to give it a whirl as a practice project. If it dies or turns out to be unworkable or ugly then I won't be out anything. It's been looking a bit wilty the last few days so may die yet...

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down