Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Purpose Insecticide(s) Safe for Bonsai

2 posters

Go down

General Purpose Insecticide(s) Safe for Bonsai Empty General Purpose Insecticide(s) Safe for Bonsai

Post  bilbo Sat May 13, 2017 9:33 pm

Is there an insecticide which I can trust not to damage/injure my bonsai trees?

I have:
Acer Palmatum (Japanese Maple)
Calliandra californica (Baja Fairy Duster)
Cedrus atlantica; brevifolia; deodara ( Blue Atlas Cedar, Cyprus Cedar, Himalayan Cedar)
Citrus micrantha x Citrus medica (Key lime)
Juniperus procumbens; squamata (Green Mound Juniper, Blue Star Juniper)
Picea pungens (Colorado Blue Spruce)
Pinus aristata; flexilis; mugo; parviflora; ponderosa; thunbergii (Bristle Come Pine, Limber Pine, Mugo Pine, Japanese White Pine, Ponderosa Pine, Japanese Black Pine)
Rhododendron conlec (Royalty Azalea)

I'm really not sure if I should spray, dust, or bait so any insights would be mush appreciated.
This is more a general inquiry but I do have some specific concerns addressed in a separate thread.

bilbo

Back to top Go down

General Purpose Insecticide(s) Safe for Bonsai Empty Re: General Purpose Insecticide(s) Safe for Bonsai

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:56 pm

"Safer" or other brand insecticidal soap spray... commonly found at garden centers,,,

or DIY spray:

HOMEMADE PESTICIDE SPRAY

Fill a gallon jug with water and add one (1) or two (2) tablespoons of dishwashing detergent and one (1) tablespoon of vegetable oil (or Neem oil). Shake up the gallon jug to mix the ingredients.

Pour this solution into a spray bottle and just before using, add 1 to 2 two caps full of rubbing alcohol and spray immediately. The alcohol will evaporate, so if you do not use the full bottle of spray, add the same amount of rubbing alcohol again next time you are going to use the solution. You can store this soap/oil solution in the gallon jug for months on end. It does not seem to go bad.

Spray on plants covering all leaf and stem surfaces. You may have to spray from three to four times at intervals of three days (or every 10 days for scale)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down