Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRAZILIAN RAIN TREE - ONGOING AIR LAYER HAS DROOPY YELLOWING LEAVES

4 posters

Go down

BRAZILIAN RAIN TREE - ONGOING AIR LAYER HAS DROOPY YELLOWING LEAVES Empty BRAZILIAN RAIN TREE - ONGOING AIR LAYER HAS DROOPY YELLOWING LEAVES

Post  immAGinoso Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:02 am

My friend has successfully airlayered the mother plant (as per picture) with peeling off bark about 3/4" along a branch, brushed some rooting stimulator (specific as per picture), moist sphagnum moss around and covered in plastic with wire /string or rubber band. This air layer is about a week old now and it looks like its going wrong? Help!

BRAZILIAN RAIN TREE - ONGOING AIR LAYER HAS DROOPY YELLOWING LEAVES Brt_ai10
BRAZILIAN RAIN TREE - ONGOING AIR LAYER HAS DROOPY YELLOWING LEAVES Wilson10

immAGinoso

Back to top Go down

BRAZILIAN RAIN TREE - ONGOING AIR LAYER HAS DROOPY YELLOWING LEAVES Empty Re: BRAZILIAN RAIN TREE - ONGOING AIR LAYER HAS DROOPY YELLOWING LEAVES

Post  Nigel Parke Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:18 pm

Though i don't have any specific experience with raintrees, it could be a number of things.
Was the layer properly established before this new branch was layered? That may have contributed.

Did the 'mother' do the same thing when your friend layered it? Perhaps this is how it responds to the cambium being removed, it will probably lose leaves until it reaches an amount it can sustain and then depending on how fast the new roots develop, it will eventually start developing buds etc. up to the point when its ready to be removed.

Hope it goes well for you though...

Cheers,
Nigel
Nigel Parke
Nigel Parke

Back to top Go down

BRAZILIAN RAIN TREE - ONGOING AIR LAYER HAS DROOPY YELLOWING LEAVES Empty Re: BRAZILIAN RAIN TREE - ONGOING AIR LAYER HAS DROOPY YELLOWING LEAVES

Post  bilbo Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:01 pm

Along the same lines as Nigel, but how long was the mother's layer allowed to establish substantial roots before being cut from it's mother?
How many roots did this mother have when it was planted and how long has it been since it was planted.

Personally, I'd have concerns about laying a tree in bonsai soil.
Water and nutrients are critical to the layering process.
I'm sure it's been done, but it would make me nervous, particularly if the mother is newly rooted herself.

Are you certain the wrapping is sealed tight?
Did you perhaps go too far into the sap wood?

bilbo

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:35 pm

We have similar climates and mine yellows and drops all leaves 2-3 times a year. Usually transitioning from indoors/outdoors. Could be an adverse reaction to the air-layer, however. Get it outside as soon as possible. Continue to water the "mother" tree as usual, and keep the "layer package" moist. By all accounts, these trees can layer easily, be patient.

Your details are a little murky Cool
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down