Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cat poop. serious question

+13
NeilDellinger
LH1953
BonsaiBoy
John Quinn
Norma
irene_b
Jay Gaydosh
Tom
Wm Tom Davis
Kev Bailey
flor1
bumblebee
bobby little
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

cat poop. serious question Empty cat poop. serious question

Post  bobby little Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:07 pm

honest. Some of you may remember me being chastised or otherwise for lifting a large blackthorne and putting it into a training box at the wrong time of year. I'm pleased to say that it appears very healthy, lots of die back, but lots of growth and the dead wood will make for interesting carving material. However, got two new kittens. One of them has taken to using the soil as a bloody litter tray. Mad My wife insists that the cat crap will fertilise the tree. I suspect it might be more than a little venomous. Should I remove it all? I plan to put anti cat devices in the soil to deter the little sods, but not sure whether I need to perform the onerous task of picking the poop out?
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

cat poop. serious question Empty Re: cat poop. serious question

Post  bumblebee Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:20 pm

I don't know, but whenever I bring my trees inside, I have to work to keep the cats out of them!

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

cat poop. serious question Empty cat poop. serious question

Post  Guest Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:04 am

Cat poop not a problem, unless you get it under your fingernails!!! When you remove wire from your trees, straighten it and then push it in the soil to put them off. Pee is more of a cocern, especially if its female. Female cat urine is extremely acidic. Get your trees up on benches!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:08 am

alas it's too big for any of my tables. I have a cunning plan though. Either barbeque skewers in the soil at half inch seperation so they won't try and navigate or wire mesh over the soil.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:16 am

Sounds like a good plan to me. I have cats myself and they're not stupid!! They will eventually thwart your cunning plans, so be ready with a back up plan...... Let battle commence.

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:36 am

will baddeley wrote:Sounds like a good plan to me. I have cats myself and they're not stupid!! They will eventually thwart your cunning plans, so be ready with a back up plan...... Let battle commence.

two siamese and two half siamese, so possessed of infernal intelligence and cunning. Twisted Evil
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:42 am

Best of luck! A difficult hobby plus feline flak!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:54 am

[quote

two siamese and two half siamese, so possessed of infernal intelligence and cunning. Twisted Evil[/quote]
Wwwwoooooaaaahhhh!!!! Just re read this....FOUR CATS!!! Me thinks you've lost already.

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:35 pm

will baddeley wrote:[quote

two siamese and two half siamese, so possessed of infernal intelligence and cunning.
Wwwwoooooaaaahhhh!!!! Just re read this....FOUR CATS!!! Me thinks you've lost already.[/quote]

the three legged great dane cross with a penchant for chewing all things woody doesn't help my endeavours either.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  flor1 Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:53 pm

Cats taste like chicken cat

flor1

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:17 pm

I'm tempted, but I'm mostly biting my tongue. Dog lover you see.

Researchers have found stronger evidence for a link between a parasite in cat faeces and undercooked meat and an increased risk of schizophrenia.
Linky

I for one will br scrubbing my hands while I curse the owners for letting them roam in my vegetable garden.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:02 pm

dog man myself too, but alas, the wife is a serious cat fiend. I would say that siamese are actually more canine in their personalities. the half siamese have all their good characteristics with the notable absence of the endless annoying yowling.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Wm Tom Davis Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:22 pm

flor1 wrote:Cats taste like chicken cat

Also dogs make pretty good adobo as well.

Hhhmmmmm... less money on pets = more money for bonsai... ThumbsUp
Wm Tom Davis
Wm Tom Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:35 pm

Bobby. Someone told me once that to keep cats from pooing in your garden, you should visit your local zoo and ask for some big cat poop. Why on earth you would want to replace something horrible with something completely repugnant beats me!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:14 pm

You can buy it in garden centres, might be less awkward than asking at the zoo.
I've seen in marketed under the brand 'Lion King' at the local Wyevale.
Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:21 pm

not to be confused with Lion Bar I hope!!

Last edited by will baddeley on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:14 pm

will baddeley wrote:Cat poop not a problem, unless you get it under your fingernails!!! When you remove wire from your trees, straighten it and then push it in the soil to put them off. Pee is more of a cocern, especially if its female. Female cat urine is extremely acidic. Get your trees up on benches!!

Cat poop under the fingernails isn't a problem...

Unless you are a nail biter! Laughing
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  irene_b Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:05 pm

Have ya thought about "Moth balls"? Linky http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothball
Smell horrible but they work.

irene_b

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:26 pm

will baddeley wrote:Cat poop not a problem, unless you get it under your fingernails!!! When you remove wire from your trees, straighten it and then push it in the soil to put them off. Pee is more of a cocern, especially if its female. Female cat urine is extremely acidic. Get your trees up on benches!!

The bedding, to include feces and urine of herbivorous pets and/or livestock is fine as an amendment to gardens and potted plants, although some are better suited for post composted-first applications while others can be used directly. Chicken and cow manure tends to be "hotter" and are best used post composting or diluted in a manure tea. Horse, rabbit and sheep manure can be applied directly to gardens if broken up (horse mostly) and raked into the soil. That being said, using it for potted plants that might be brought inside could be a tad odiferous.

However, the wastes generated by carnivorous , or even omnivorous, pets contain several "ingredients" you might not want in your pots.

First, Cats and dogs participate in the lifecycles of numerous parasites that can be redily shared with humans, none of which you want to be digging in with your hands or garden utensils.

Second, their digestive systems are not as efficient as their herbivorous counterparts in terms of certain portions of their foods, which tends to leave fats and other portions incompletely digested. This could result in the attracting of undesirable insects to your trees and potted plants, as well as adversely effecting the watering of your trees and the roots ability to absorb the water. (If an oil manure is applied to the soil, naturally or by you. The grease can coat the roots preventing the roots from accessing the water.)

Third, dog and\or cat urine could be high enough in urea to burn you roots, although frequent watering of bonsai might negate this, why take the chance. Dogs and cats, as predators, tend to hold their urine and feces
and their bodies tend to remove the water and concentrate the wastes. This allows them to strategically place the urine to mark their territories or to leave it away from their dens to hide their presence from other animals. Although, these animals have been domesticated for centuries, their instincts regarding self preservation remain in tact. What does this mean for your plants, it may be highly concentrated.

Lastly, if you choose to add dog or cat wastes to your soil amendments, make sure it has had the chance to compost fully before using it.

JMHO,

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:34 pm

Just put a few fist-sized rocks (preferably sharp) on the soil. If the cats are strictly outdoor cats, you might provide them a sandy spot in a corner of the garden.

And by the way, a cat's waste is like any carnivore not recommended for use as fertilizer. The waste from farm run-off along the Mississippi River has created a dead-zone at the mouth of the river.

http://envirovore.com/content/view/24/9/

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

cat poop. serious question Empty Cats

Post  flor1 Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:50 pm

A 22 will take permanately take care of the problem just ask the tree rat's around my house. cat

flor1

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:13 pm

Jay Gaydosh wrote:

The bedding, to include feces and urine of herbivorous pets and/or livestock is fine as an amendment to gardens and potted plants, although some are better suited for post composted-first applications while others can be used directly. Chicken and cow manure tends to be "hotter" and are best used post composting or diluted in a manure tea. Horse, rabbit and sheep manure can be applied directly to gardens if broken up (horse mostly) and raked into the soil. That being said, using it for potted plants that might be brought inside could be a tad odiferous.

However, the wastes generated by carnivorous , or even omnivorous, pets contain several "ingredients" you might not want in your pots.

First, Cats and dogs participate in the lifecycles of numerous parasites that can be redily shared with humans, none of which you want to be digging in with your hands or garden utensils.

Second, their digestive systems are not as efficient as their herbivorous counterparts in terms of certain portions of their foods, which tends to leave fats and other portions incompletely digested. This could result in the attracting of undesirable insects to your trees and potted plants, as well as adversely effecting the watering of your trees and the roots ability to absorb the water. (If an oil manure is applied to the soil, naturally or by you. The grease can coat the roots preventing the roots from accessing the water.)

Third, dog and\or cat urine could be high enough in urea to burn you roots, although frequent watering of bonsai might negate this, why take the chance. Dogs and cats, as predators, tend to hold their urine and feces
and their bodies tend to remove the water and concentrate the wastes. This allows them to strategically place the urine to mark their territories or to leave it away from their dens to hide their presence from other animals. Although, these animals have been domesticated for centuries, their instincts regarding self preservation remain in tact. What does this mean for your plants, it may be highly concentrated.

Lastly, if you choose to add dog or cat wastes to your soil amendments, make sure it has had the chance to compost fully before using it.

JMHO,

Jay

Embarassed ahem...

you really know your sh*t man Very Happy cheers

I dug all the turds out, and I've covered the training box with wire mesh, so the little weasels can't get to it.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:24 pm

bobby little wrote:

Embarassed ahem...

I dug all the turds out, and I've covered the training box with wire mesh, so the little weasels can't get to it.

Actually, four years of animal science to include: 2 years concentrated biological studies, two years equine science with two years working on the campus dairy farm, 2 years working as a student in a slaughter house, "lab work" in the campus equine facility, plus courses of study on swine, sheep, beef and dairy cattle. Raising dogs, cats, birds, gerbels and fish. You might say I have a BS in HS. Then thee are those who claim I'm full of sh*t, which would be just another qualification! thumbs up

Either way... keep the cats and their poop out of your pots! (Weasels aren't any better lol! )

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:33 pm

Jay Gaydosh wrote:
bobby little wrote:

Embarassed ahem...

Actually, four years of animal science to include: 2 years concentrated biological studies, two years equine science with two years working on the campus dairy farm, 2 years working as a student in a slaughter house, "lab work" in the campus equine facility, plus courses of study on swine, sheep, beef and dairy cattle. Raising dogs, cats, birds, gerbels and fish. You might say I have a BS in HS. Then thee are those who claim I'm full of sh*t, which would be just another qualification! thumbs up

Either way... keep the cats and their poop out of your pots! (Weasels aren't any better lol! )

Jay

Shocked you are a boffin in all things fauna then. Blimey. Any behavioural tips for an idiot dog? Laughing
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:53 pm

Boffin in all things fauna, no, more of a sh*tologist. Although my flora education also involved truck loads of horse and rabbit manure (and a few 5-gallon buckets of good olf chicken poop.)

Not a dog trainer, but in the words of Victoria Stillwell, "There are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners." (feel free to substitute idiot for bad Very Happy ) If it is a serious dog question, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. If its in jest, I have lots of suggestions, only none of them are politically correct.. Dance

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next