The older Bonsai club in the world

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The older Bonsai club in the world

Post  abedini on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:59 pm

Hi

Do You know where is the older bonsai club in the world ? and, the first one club.

In south America, for example, the Sociedad Venezolana de Bonsai has 40 years old.

Best regards and thanks Alejandro
abedini

Back to top Go down

Re: The older Bonsai club in the world

Post  DougB on Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:21 am

Interesting questions. A quick Google search for "oldest bonsai club" bring up some 4,000 responses. Many are in the 60 and 70+ year old category. A chart of the oldest would give bragging rights to many. Good advertising and a source for news articles. So who is up to the task?
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:55 am

Our club is about 30 years old, and I've been a member for some 15 years.

This doesn't mean that it's better than clubs that are 20 or 10, or 2 years old.

Makes me think of the kind of questions you have when you display trees : "How old is it?"

Who really cares as long as the trees are good ?

AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:41 pm

this year will mark the 47th annual exhibit by the Milwaukee Bonsai Society...
i am not positive, but i would imagine they existed prior to having their 1st annual exhibit.

also the American Bonsai Society is 50 this year i believe...

BUT i have heard rumors of a secret society in china that is millennia old... Shocked
but being a secret means it is not talked about silent
and when irreverent westerners mention it by name, they have been "disappeared" pale

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG
kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:17 am

Hello Alejandro - as Doug has said this is an interesting question, but to answer it requires more clearly defining the query. How are you defining "club"? A group of interested people, or something organized more officially either in law or culture? Since bonsai has been around since about 700 BC, certainly there have been many groups of aficionados which have come and gone. Or do you mean to inquire about bonsai clubs outside of Asia? There are several which claim a heritage of 80 or so years. Robert J. Baran used to post here with some frequency on the history of bonsai. Here is a link to what I think is his most current website: http://www.magiminiland.org/. This seems to be a question right up his alley.

Yours,
David B.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:22 am

abedini wrote:Hi

Do You know where is the older bonsai club in the world ? and, the first one club.

In south America, for example,  the  Sociedad Venezolana de Bonsai has 40 years old.

Four Seasons Bonsai Club of Michigan is 45, so I think the club you mention is not quite as old as ours. The Marin Bonsai Club in Califorinia is over fifty years old and those are only two of the clubs I have been associated with. The Marin Club goes back to the early 1960's or even earlier. I am pretty sure there is a club in S. California that precedes that one by perhaps twenty years.
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert J. Baran on Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:45 am

Per http://www.magiminiland.org/JYN.html, the California Bonsai Society, Inc. came into existence November 1950 as the Southern California Bonsai Club. This may have been the first English/Japanese-speaking club in the U.S.

Per March 18 listing in our Bonsai Book of Days project, http://www.magiminiland.org/Days/DaysMarb.html, "In 1945, [Takita 'George' Fukuma] and seven others (from Colorado internment camps: Shiichi Fukuhara, Ben Yamakishi, Sam Naka, George Inai, Kai Kawahara, Mitsutaro Tawara, and one other gentleman) would form the 'Denver Bonsai Club'... The meetings were unique in that only Japanese was spoken and lectures on the topics were formally led by a sensei (master artist)."

Per April 1 listing http://www.magiminiland.org/Days/DaysApr.html, "Kenneth Iwatoki Sugimoto... would establish in 1939 the West Los Angeles Bonsai Club."  I believe the source of that claim was Dillon, J.A. "Sokumenzu - Profile," Bonsai Magazine, BCI, Vol. XI, No. 4, May 1972, pg. 20, but I have yet to find any other reference to that one.

Please also see the pages beginning with http://www.magiminiland.org/BigPicture/Nations.html for the oldest known dates to us of clubs in the various countries, in bold black print.

Cordially,

Robert J. Baran
Bonsai Researcher and Historian,
on IBC from 1995-1996, 1999-present (including when the website had to be restarted in 2009),
who has been more of an IBC lurker the past several months
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Vance Wood wrote:
abedini wrote:Hi

In south America, for example,  the  Sociedad Venezolana de Bonsai has 40 years old.

Four Seasons Bonsai Club of Michigan is 45, so I think the club you mention is not quite as old as ours.  The Marin Bonsai Club in Califorinia is over fifty years old and those are only two of the clubs I have been associated with.  The Marin Club goes back to the early 1960's or even earlier.  I am pretty sure there is a club in S. California that precedes that one by perhaps twenty years.  
I wondered how the club was Vance. I didn't know it was that old.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:18 pm

kevin stoeveken wrote:this year will mark the 47th annual exhibit by the Milwaukee Bonsai Society...
i am not positive, but i would imagine they existed prior to having their 1st annual exhibit.

also the American Bonsai Society is 50 this year i believe...

BUT i have heard rumors of a secret society in china that is millennia old... Shocked
but being a secret means it is not talked about silent
and when irreverent westerners mention it by name, they have been "disappeared" pale
First rule of Bonsai Club. Don't talk about Bonsai Club.
Second rule of Bonsai Club. Don't talk about Bonsai Club.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:29 am

what club ? silent

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG
kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:26 pm