Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Having fun with a big Shefflera... and some video editing software.

3 posters

Go down

Having fun with a big Shefflera... and some video editing software. Empty Having fun with a big Shefflera... and some video editing software.

Post  appalachianOwl Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:38 am

Hello all. Been a while since I have posted. Not out of the game by any means mind you, school has kept me rather busy the past several years. It dose have it's benefits though. I work for the UT botanical garden as an intern. Sometimes they have plants they don't need or have room for. This Shefflera is one such plant. I know some do not recognize this species as "Bonsai", but then again I don't care.  Wink  Tackled over the weekend and decided to document. Only the first step in the process, will reduce again in the future. Am glad to share something again with my cyber tree buddies. Enjoy.

appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Having fun with a big Shefflera... and some video editing software. Empty Re: Having fun with a big Shefflera... and some video editing software.

Post  my nellie Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:00 am

Hello!
I've done the same in a lesser degree to a schefflera of mine this last summer. It is a big plant standing into a big ceramic pot for some years at my balcony and being pruned every year.
I haven't documented the whole procedure like you did. And I was not at all sure it would survive the "surgery" Very Happy so I didn't put it into a bonsai pot right away. Instead I used a kind of bowl ceramic pot (wide and short). I realized I could have used the bonsai pot because the tree really liked all the "torture" it had suffered. I think I will let it stand for the next season and by God's will next repotting into proper bonsai pot in 2018.

How many hours did the whole process took you?
The white colour material that you used for soil is it pumice?

Thank you for sharing.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Having fun with a big Shefflera... and some video editing software. Empty Re: Having fun with a big Shefflera... and some video editing software.

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:38 pm

jacob... i have seen many respectable sheffies...

i have one that i play with...

they can not be killed and grow like weed. Razz
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:12 pm

Alexandra- Took about 4-5 hours total over the course of two days, didn't record it all. The media used is 50-50%, fired calcified clay obtained from auto parts store (took a few years to find a good one that didn't breakdown) and perlite. Would like to see your specimen as well by the way.

Kevin- Thanks for the encouragement! Again, would like to see the one your working also.
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:41 pm

not much to show yet, but i accidentally found an interesting thing with these and that is what i am playing with:

mine is a semi cascade with one main trunk line and about a year ago i accidentally broke that main trunk,
not all the way off, but a definite 90 degree, loud, snapping break...
so i decided to wrap it with floral tape and see what happened...
it did not miss a beat...

so right now i have breaks all down the trunk line that are in different stages of healing and it is still thriving.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down