Japanese Kadsura

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Japanese Kadsura

Post  -Jamie- on Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Hi all,

Anyone have any experience with a Japanese Kadsura? I recently acquired one that's got great potential, but that's horribly overgrown. I need to reduce the branching and foliage by about 75% before it will look like anything, and I also need to heavily root prune it, as it's in a huge pot. I'm not sure how vigourous these guys are, so I only pruned about 40% of its branches/foliage, and didn't root prune it at all. But my impatience is getting the best of me, so I thought I'd inquire, to see if I can just go ahead and do it all now.

I probably know the answer (i.e. patience), but I thought I'd ask.

Jamie

-Jamie-

Back to top Go down

Re: Japanese Kadsura

Post  appalachianOwl on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:11 am

Hey Jamie. Found one of interest myself recently and came across this thread from a few years back. Some good points from Randy Davis in particular.
http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t1373-cercidiphyllum-japonica-katsura-bonsai
I am going to go for it. Hope your endeavors go well. -Jacob

appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:06 pm

Could we please clarify if we are talking about kadsura or katsura here. They are two different things. DO you know the botanical name of your plant, Jamie?

I have a Kadsura which after three years of doing very little, looks as if it is about to push out berries.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  -Jamie- on Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:55 pm

Of course, it is a Japanese Kadsura (Kadsura japonica). There's a lot of information about Katsura (with a "t") tree's, but very little about Kadsura's. And Jacob, I think that link was all about Katsura's not Kadsura's. It's very confusing, as they're so similar, and even google auto-corrects to the spelling with the letter "t," but they are two distinct species.

I do think that Kadsura's are occasionally used for bonsai material in Japan, so maybe's there's information in Japanese, but I've found absolutely nothing in English. I'm thinking that because it's a vine it perhaps can take major pruning and root pruning at the same time, but I don't know if I want to risk it.

-Jamie-

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:35 pm

I too had difficulty finding info. There are some websites in French that I found and I am sure google translate will oblige sufficiently. I will post pics of mine if (hopefully when) it pushes berries out.

But thanks for your post: you've prompted me to revisit this tree.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl on Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:12 am

Ha very cool. Though was a type-o Wink

appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:30 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down