Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cedrus libani

3 posters

Go down

cedrus libani Empty cedrus libani

Post  stoneage Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:53 pm

i bought this cedar in turkey seller did not know name,but looks like libani.. i planted it in this unglazed poot 29x 22 cm
the tree is 63 cm (25 inch ) high and 4 cm trunk (1.57 inch)...know it needs to rest for the winter..
planning to bring it inside during the ice cold winter months to a 5-10 c room with led growlights...
hoping to do some styling in may/june....this trees is not easy to find in sweden. cedrus libani Paddan10

cedrus libani Paddan11
stoneage
stoneage

Back to top Go down

cedrus libani Empty Re: cedrus libani

Post  yamasuri Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:27 am

It look to me more like Larix maybe European. http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=b431
Check the habit of the tree. Another thing would confirm my guess if the needles start change the color with following drop. Larix is decidua tree. I'm not sure if keeping tree inside over the winter will do good. It need dormancy. Another thing is to get red of the "clay" soil and give tree good bonsai substrat. It will give tree oxygen to have healthy roots and good growth.
Here is the link of Larix to compare
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=a163

Is absolutely not easy to identify trees with "no" name. I can be wrong
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  stoneage Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:41 pm

i have Larix decidua this is diferent, if its not cedrus libani it could be cedrus deodara...
i already took away most clay soil but little remain in center of pot..dont want to stress
this tree to much...next year i do some work on roots.. regarding dormancy...- 20 c can be too cold im suspecting..this tree
grow in turkey before with a warm climate...im talking about a cold room +4-10 c
the alternative is my greenhouse...but the soil are getting totaly frozen there too..
tanx for tip....
stoneage
stoneage

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:08 pm

What do you have it planted in?  It looks a lot like pure sand, the kind your kids would play in.  It is quite obvious that the tree is a conifer and probably a local native to your region.  As such it does not need to come indoors if by saying that you mean to bring it into the house, that will kill the tree.  Temperate trees cannot tolerate an indoor environment for more than a couple of days at a time during the year.  They need the elements to work their thing on them without that they will weaken and die.  You should provide a shelter that keeps the drying wind off of the them and keeps them out of the effects of direct sun.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  stoneage Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:16 pm

its little sand +composed bark soil+cat litter burned clay pebbles..
NO its not native in sweden and its imported from turkey.....
cedars are not hardy in my region.
Cedars can grow in the very south of sweden..im in middle..
winter can last for 6 months and temperature can go down to
minus 25c,,-13 f but stays often at minus 10 for months... and not much sunlight.....
stoneage
stoneage

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:46 pm

stoneage wrote:its little sand +composed bark soil+cat litter burned clay pebbles..
NO its not native in sweden and its imported from turkey.....
cedars are not hardy in my region.
Cedars can grow in the very south of sweden..im in middle..
winter can last for 6 months and temperature can go down to
minus 25c,,-13 f but stays often at minus 10 for months... and not much sunlight.....

You are sure it is a Cedar? Because it is not hardy in your zone does not mean it is going to be hardy in your house. It will need winter protection as I described previously but do not put it in the house. A cold frame may be alright but it needs to be outside.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:07 pm

OK than. I said I could be wrong. Definitely consider what Vance say about dormancy. Weather at my place is zone 5a and also have cedrus Libanyi Brevifolia and for winter goes to cold frame where is about zero degree at any time.
Winters are harsher here than your area. Difference here is wind chill which affects living organismus. Winter in Sweden is dry. Good luck with that.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  stoneage Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:13 pm

maybe a soil heating cable in the green house is the best solution..heats the soil with 8-12 c ..100 watts ,10 meter long..
this could be one way to make a fairly mild winter climate for more sensitive trees .. cedrus libani Soilhe10
stoneage
stoneage

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down