Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with Ficus - Roots grew over edge of pot into ground

+3
Indo Andreas
leatherback
Clever
7 posters

Go down

Help with Ficus - Roots grew over edge of pot into ground  Empty Help with Ficus - Roots grew over edge of pot into ground

Post  Clever Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:43 am

I've had the ficus for a few years and its doing really well for the most part. After a super rainy few months the tree really went nuts with growth. There was a thick base of low moss type vegetation covering the soil surface. Upon removal of this growth I realized the tree had sent some roots over the edge of the pot and into the ground. I should have seen it sooner but I honestly think it helped a lot with the growth. Now I don't know what the best way to deal with these 2 larger roots. Should I just cut them? Should I use root hormone and try to get it to send some roots into the pot and then cut it off once those have been established? Any help would be appreciated. I have attached a picture of the issue.

Help with Ficus - Roots grew over edge of pot into ground  27871743656_a0a4f94307_b
Clever
Clever

Back to top Go down

Help with Ficus - Roots grew over edge of pot into ground  Empty Re: Help with Ficus - Roots grew over edge of pot into ground

Post  leatherback Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:09 pm

The one on the right I would just remove. Theother seems to be an air-root. This I would try to keep, and therefor probably pin to the ground in the pot after trimming it with a bit too much length.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Help with Ficus - Roots grew over edge of pot into ground  Empty Re: Help with Ficus - Roots grew over edge of pot into ground

Post  Indo Andreas Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:21 pm

You can cut it without problems, make sure not to short so it fits into the pot. I would suggest a bigger pot for this tree too. A picture of the whole tree would be nice.

Indo Andreas

Back to top Go down

Post  henny Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:38 am

maybe an airlayer so you can keep the roots for when you repot it
henny
henny

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce Winter Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:53 am

That's how they grow them in Thailand. Roots over the edge down to the ground. Get big fast, then cut. Boom!

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  immAGinoso Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:36 am

Wouldn't it be cool to repot it with something plain but with some gnarly surface perhaps, that can serve as a background and maybe a surface where these overgrown roots can cling onto..  

Just a thought when repotting time comes Smile

immAGinoso

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce Winter Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:04 am

The first image shows one root doing what I've seen happening all round the pot and down a few feet into the ground not repotting 'till all surface roots melt together.

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:56 pm

If you want the tree to grow as fast as possible, but in that pot, I would let the roots stay for now and remove later. But this might be at the sacrifice of other roots growing, presumably the ones you want to have 'melt together'. It seems the roots you want to keep would fatten up in a bigger pot, no?
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce Winter Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:38 pm

Sure, the bigger the pot the faster the growth and in the ground with no restriction is the biggest pot, no? And feed it often.

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down