Birch from seed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Birch from seed

Post  Vitusus on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:06 pm

Hi all, this is my birch grown from seed, I think it's some three years old now, maybe four, not sure exactly. I repotted it this year and it is growing quite well so far. I'm thinking about shortening the apex though later during the season as it seems to grow like crazy.

Any tips and tricks for the birches? Except for that it is not suitable for bonsai Laughing (I seem to hear this about way too many tree species)

Vitusus

Back to top Go down

Re: Birch from seed

Post  michaelsturm on Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:53 pm

Birch make for fine bonsai. I used to grow several of them when I lived in Alaska. It looks like you live in apartment, I would plant that guy in the biggest pot you can find and let it go crazy for two years and see what you get for trunk growth.

michaelsturm

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:08 pm

michaelsturm wrote: I would plant that guy in the biggest pot you can find and let it go crazy for two years and see what you get for trunk growth.

yes yes yes !
and no pruning during that time... just growing energy !

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG
kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  Vitusus on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:03 pm

Hello everyone, just a quick update, after one year of growth, this is how it looks without leaves. Will also add more pictures once the buds finally open and I get some green on it Very Happy

Vitusus

Back to top Go down

Post  Vitusus on Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Hello everyone,

Update of my birch after another growing season, any comments welcome.

The trunk is thickening up and I will be repotting the tree in the spring and I plan to bring the left down branch lower in a similar way I did it with the right one. Plus work further on the ramification.

Vitusus

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Building a tree from a seed is quite a challenge if your plan is the "naturalistic" form as there are basically no rules. The "old fashioned" classical form is much easier to follow as there are quite clear rules that guide your activities.

If the tree is mine I would cut off the current trunk just above the first branch on the right side converting this branch into the new leader. This should resolve the problematic thickening at the place of the second branch ie the first one on the left and gives you better taper. If I am lucky I will get some new buds lower on the trunk. If not I would consider bud grafting or a threadgrafts. Also I would work on a nebari at this stage.

On the other hand you can leave it as it is if you are happy with it. But then I think that you should reduce the strenght of the first branch as it gets a bit thicker than it should be.

Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum