Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EASTERN RED CEDAR - WHAT THE HECK ???

5 posters

Go down

EASTERN RED CEDAR - WHAT THE HECK ??? Empty EASTERN RED CEDAR - WHAT THE HECK ???

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed May 11, 2016 4:02 pm

i have this eastern red cedar forest i have been struggling with for a couple years and now it has something new going on...

if anyone knows what the hell this amber colored gelatinous crap is, and how to treat it, i would be MOST appreciative

i have never seen anything like this and literally did this  affraid  when i saw it

EASTERN RED CEDAR - WHAT THE HECK ??? 20160514

EASTERN RED CEDAR - WHAT THE HECK ??? 20160515

EASTERN RED CEDAR - WHAT THE HECK ??? 20160513

EASTERN RED CEDAR - WHAT THE HECK ??? 20160516

it seems to have developed rather quickly (over the course of a few days maybe) as i did not notice it earlier than that...

Last edited by beer city snake on Wed May 11, 2016 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

EASTERN RED CEDAR - WHAT THE HECK ??? Empty Re: EASTERN RED CEDAR - WHAT THE HECK ???

Post  jgeanangel Wed May 11, 2016 4:13 pm

cedar-apple rust
goggle it...quite common

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

EASTERN RED CEDAR - WHAT THE HECK ??? Empty Re: EASTERN RED CEDAR - WHAT THE HECK ???

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed May 11, 2016 4:15 pm

thanks john - so fungicide it, eh ?
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed May 11, 2016 4:24 pm

ahhh,,, so i did the googles and it makes sense because i had the galls last year and this is what follows the following year...

still - fully creepy and sci-fi looking stuff, to be sure !

thanks again john !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Leppo Wed May 11, 2016 8:45 pm

With all the recent rain here in PA, I can see huge "fruits" of this stuff hanging in the roadside trees. Now that the rain stopped temporarily, they aren't as noticeable. But they're still there.

Nick Lenz seems to indicate that you cant eradicate it from your trees, just fight it, IIRC.

Dave Leppo

Back to top Go down

Post  Anitasfarm Thu May 12, 2016 7:42 pm

Agree with Nick as mentioned above (and with our own Nina Shishkoff whose old post on this can be found with a search), cedar-apple (and/or cedar-hawthorn) rust can only be controlled not prevented. Best to remove the galls by pruning before they get to the stage of releasing the gooey spores.

Fungicide is only useful if sprayed on the trees infected by the juniper-borne spores (not the junipers themselves). It's been a very wet spring here in the NorthEast and I expect a bumper year, which is too bad, because we've really cut down on these by pruning small galls ruthlessly in the fall. J. p. nana is particularly vulnerable, along with the native redcedar J. virginiana).

Watch carefully on your apple/crabapple/shadbush/hawthorn bonsai for tiny yellow leaf spots. If possible without weakening trees, remove those infected leaves before they mature spores later in the summer.

Good website here:
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advice-tips-resources/pests-and-problems/diseases/rusts/cedar-apple-rust.aspx

Anitasfarm

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Thu May 12, 2016 8:38 pm

Had it on a juniper 2 (?) years ago. Decided to get rid of it in the garbage bin, to reduce spreading.

Afterwards, it create scar tissue (And inmy case these were big bulges).
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down