Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese Elm / Ulmus parvifolia outside during the day, inside during the night ?

+2
ironhorse
SidneyDR
6 posters

Go down

Chinese Elm / Ulmus parvifolia outside during the day, inside during the night ? Empty Chinese Elm / Ulmus parvifolia outside during the day, inside during the night ?

Post  SidneyDR Tue May 10, 2016 11:41 pm

I recently bought my first bonsai, a 9 years old Chinese Elm.
I bought it online, when it arrived it was packed pretty bad, and in 3 days of having it, the bonsai lost all his leaves. They had watered the soil A LOT.
I decided to leave it alone for a couple of days. Now I put it ouside during the day ( not in full sunlight ) and during the night or when it rains I put it inside.
I water it with a spray bottle, about 2/3 times a day small amounts so I don't overwater it.
It is currently growing all it's leaves back really fast, and I noticed that there are 2 small trees growing as well. (should I remove these small trees ?)
Is what i'm doing right ? I'm very new to this so I want to make sure my bonsai is alright.

SidneyDR

Back to top Go down

Chinese Elm / Ulmus parvifolia outside during the day, inside during the night ? Empty Re: Chinese Elm / Ulmus parvifolia outside during the day, inside during the night ?

Post  ironhorse Wed May 11, 2016 7:43 pm

Your Chinese Elm should be outdoors permanently at this time of year and won't take any hurt in full sun. It's not unusual for trees to lose their leaves when stressed or with a sudden change of environment but it's a good sign that you are getting new growth. Don't water too frequently, let the soil dry out a bit before watering thoroughly, may be daily or every few days depending on climate. Not sure what you mean by additional trees - are there three in the pot? Be good to see a photo if possible.

Dave

ironhorse

Back to top Go down

Chinese Elm / Ulmus parvifolia outside during the day, inside during the night ? Empty Re: Chinese Elm / Ulmus parvifolia outside during the day, inside during the night ?

Post  SidneyDR Wed May 11, 2016 10:13 pm

ironhorse wrote:Your Chinese Elm should be outdoors permanently at this time of year and won't take any hurt in full sun.  It's not unusual for trees to lose their leaves when stressed or with a sudden change of environment but it's a good sign that you are getting new growth.  Don't water too frequently, let the soil dry out a bit before watering thoroughly, may be daily or every few days depending on climate.  Not sure what you mean by additional trees - are there three in the pot?  Be good to see a photo if possible.

Dave

Hi !
Thank you for your advice.
If I put the bonsai outside permanently, won't the rain damage the bonsai ? (overwater it ?.
There seem to be 2 different trees also growing in the pot, One seems to be an Elm also, the other has other type of leaves. They are very small though, but grow fast.
First picture is from 4 days ago, the second one I took today. I can take better pictures tomorrow.

Chinese Elm / Ulmus parvifolia outside during the day, inside during the night ? CJHSAu

Chinese Elm / Ulmus parvifolia outside during the day, inside during the night ? AHCWu6

SidneyDR

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Thu May 12, 2016 3:50 pm

If you're worried about overwatering from rain tilt the pot. Put something under it to angle one end up.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  ironhorse Thu May 12, 2016 10:20 pm

As long as it isn't standing in water it will be OK - those green shoots in the pot are most likely weeds of some sort which can be pulled out, doubt they are connected with your tree.

Dave

ironhorse

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendanR Tue May 24, 2016 1:20 pm

It seems to be standing on a drip tray. Take it off that, as the soil looks like it is heavy clay, and you will risk water retention and root rot if it stands in a wet tray.

I recommend that you leave it outside as the other suggest.

Read this: http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ulmus.html

I would also re-pot it into a free draining soil.

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  Indo Andreas Tue May 24, 2016 1:45 pm

It recovers good, if you repot, then don't remove all of the old soil.

Indo Andreas

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Wed May 25, 2016 2:53 am

Indo Andreas wrote:It recovers good, if you repot, then don't remove all of the old soil.
This is totally wrong. The reason for a repot right now is to get it into better draining soil. That means rinsing all of the old organic crap off with a gentle stream of water.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Indo Andreas Wed May 25, 2016 3:00 am

Sorry, I didn't agree, but that is probably the way we have different opinion. Because the fungus that surround the root and help feeding the plants will be removed too. But I am learning.

Indo Andreas

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Wed May 25, 2016 7:48 am

Mycchoriza do not wash off all that easily. And most have spores al around anyway.

Cleaning deciduous mass-produced trees of all organics during a repot is very standard practice to improve overall health.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Thu May 26, 2016 11:32 am

I dig them up. I wash them. I put them in pure floor dry. No dirt on decidious trees ever. The fungus you refer to will come naturally if the tree needs it. The dirt is what will make a trees root rot. It holds too much water.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down