Pine identification

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pine identification

Post  Reefkpr on Mon May 02, 2016 6:08 am

Goood evening to all I just recieved a beautiful pine from the wife of a gentleman that had cared for this tree for the last sixty years. I have the privilege of continuing that care. I am not new to Bonsai but haven't hade any pines as of yet so any advice would be appreciated. The tree is about 38in tall and I think white pine. It is in a small wooden pot and has not been repotted in several years. I will have to learn how to post pictures to my post when I do then you can see what Im talking about

Reefkpr

Back to top Go down

Re: Pine identification

Post  Reefkpr on Mon May 02, 2016 6:26 am

Reefkpr

Back to top Go down

Post  Reefkpr on Mon May 02, 2016 6:29 am

Reefkpr

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Mon May 02, 2016 10:48 am

It isn't clear enough from the images so can you look at the needles for us please. They are arranged in clusters coming out of a sheath. You need to identify how many needles are in each cluster - 2, 3 or does it go up to 5?  If it goes up to 5, then it is likely (but not exclusively so) that it is a White Pine.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  beer city snake on Mon May 02, 2016 12:37 pm

that is a beautiful gift !!!

i clicked on the pic and it opened in a new window...
it sure does look like 2 needles per sheath...

btw - is your handle short for "reef keeper" ?

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

By the way, the name is Kevin
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

beer city snake

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 on Mon May 02, 2016 1:24 pm

Not JWP.....or white pine of any sort.

LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  Reefkpr on Mon May 02, 2016 2:18 pm

Yes among my other interests are saltwater reef tanks. And thank you I think it is a beautiful tree. As far as I can tell from what his wife told me the pine has been naturally grown with out any training. I checked this morning and it does have two needles per sheath as for age it must have been fairly good sized when he started caring for the tree sixty years ago but not really sure. I live about sixty miles north of seattle on fildalgo island. The climate here is pretty mild year round not to wet or cold. Is there any good reading on pine care exclusively? Watering regimen fertilizing, training ect

Reefkpr

Back to top Go down

Post  Reefkpr on Tue May 03, 2016 8:18 pm

So definitely not a white pine. so with two needle sheath could it be black or mugo ?

Reefkpr

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary on Thu May 05, 2016 3:05 am

I'm thinking scots pine. JBP have long needles if you don't decandle the things. Mugo has darker bark and usually isn't seen growing so nice and upright.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Leppo on Thu May 05, 2016 1:32 pm

OP is in pacific NW
Could it be Lodge pole pine?

Dave Leppo

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB on Sat May 07, 2016 1:20 pm

Was it from a nursery originally? It could be Austrian Black Pine which is a pretty common nursery pine.

DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine on Sat May 07, 2016 10:36 pm

I would find a bonsai club and get some help and an id. You need to know what species in order to provide proper care

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood on Sun May 08, 2016 11:21 pm

It's not White Pine, it definitely has two needles per sheath. I doublt it to be Mugo and the needles are more like Austrian Black, or Lucodermus.

Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje on Mon May 09, 2016 5:36 pm

Austrian black pines also have fairly long needles.

For the time being, I would treat it as a SINGLE FLUSH 2 Needle Pine. If you follow care for this group, and it proves to be a two flush pine, you won't hurt the tree. If you make the mistake and treat it as a 2 flush pine, and it isn't, then you could damage the health of the tree.

Pay attention this year, to when candles appear, how long they take to mature, and whether or not a second flush of candles appears. Keep notes. This will help to sort out which set of techniques to use.

Pinus sylvestris - Scotts pine, Pinus contorta - Lodgepole pine, Austrian Black Pine, and many North American pines are single flush 2 needle pines. Some have 3 needles, but technique is the same.

Pinus thunbergii & densiflora - Japanese Black Pine and Japanese Red Pine, also one or two pines from Southeastern USA are 2 flush pines, for these the techniques for Japanese Black Pine are appropriate.

So it is not that important to know the exact species, if you can figure out if it is a single flush, or a two flush of growth pine. The single flush pine techniques are safe to use on two flush species, but not the reverse, so until you know from observation, I would treat this as a single flush two needle pine.

Just my 2 cents.

Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Reefkpr on Mon May 16, 2016 1:20 am

Thank you Leo I will take that approach for single flush pine till I can get a positive I'd.

Reefkpr

Back to top Go down

Post  MKBonsai on Tue May 17, 2016 7:08 pm

If you search Ryan Neil pine lecture on YouTube he provides a very straightforward summary of how to develop and maintain two flush and sine flush pines.

John T - MKBonsai

MKBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Dirk Hoorelbeke on Tue May 17, 2016 8:06 pm

Austrian Black Pine, that would be my guess. Needles to thick for sylvestris. Might be mugo, but growth patern and bark say no to me. Must be a while in that pot to get growth like that.

Dirk Hoorelbeke

Back to top Go down

Post  Reefkpr on Fri May 27, 2016 3:53 pm

Well it looks like scots pine, I went down to Bonsai nw in seattle and talked to John, brought him a small branch. He felt the needles were small from being root bound. I'm thinking I will try and build up its health this year and repot next spring. Thanks for all your help

Reefkpr

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 on Fri May 27, 2016 5:48 pm

Cool. Always nice to know just what you have and how to proceed appropriately. Good luck!

LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary on Sat May 28, 2016 10:52 am

Ha!

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  beer city snake on Sat May 28, 2016 2:28 pm

M. Frary wrote:  Ha!
Laughing Laughing Laughing

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America