Impending maple butchery

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Impending maple butchery

Post  jgeanangel on Mon May 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Carterbeall wrote:
Good to hear from you! I have not airlayered it yet; I will plant it in a box and work on treating the infestation this year and ensuring optimum health. I did not know that the tree is that old, but why not airlayer the top off? The top section is so knobby and the main feature of this tree is the root base. Where would I do the thread grafts? I do not see that it needs any new branches. Small buds are already popping up all over the trunk as well.

Hey Carter..... I am glad to hear and see that this tree is doing well this year....lots of buds on the trunk is a good sign. Of course, you should go in the direction that you are most comfortable with... My concern is that old JM can sometimes be finicky about budding where you would like... It has also been my experience that a tree's age is inversely proportional to the likelihood that it will successfully airlayer.

If you decide to chop, the absolute best scenario would be that you have a new bud/branch already in place for the apex. Trees do not react the same to a chop when they already have existing branches below that chop...often the chopped branch will just die in favor of what is already existing....of course, you are far more likely to get the desired results on a chop when there is no branches below the chop( I am certainly not saying to cutoff all the branches:)). Due to the size of the trunk, where I think you want to chop/airlayer, it will take several years to remake the transition with nice taper.

My concern is just that old trees do not respond the same as the younger material we work with and I would hate to see you do something that would ultimately be the downfall to this tree.

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Carterbeall on Wed May 04, 2016 3:01 am

Actually, I do in fact have a shoot right where I would cut it, which is just below the big dead section on the back. It is already more than a foot long, but I see what you are saying about the thickness required of the new apex for a smooth transition. It just seems to me that it will take longer to heal the dead section, and the only way I can think of to fix the big knobs is to cut them out resulting in large wounds that may never look right. Maybe I can try to take the best of both and cut low enough to remove the worst knobs, but high enough to preserve the lowest portion with the best taper. Still, I will pot it in very coarse soil and fertilize and water aggressively before any major pruning. If I make a large cut I would do the technique involving removing a wedge shaped section to help the transition. I definitely do not want to do anything wrong with this one- I remember reading something that an apprentice in Japan wrote that said something to the effect of "A great tree is made usually not by one master but many skilled people over a long period of time, but a great tree is ruined usually by one unskilled person in a short period of time." I hope to be able to pass this tree on better than when it first came under my care. So, again if it is better in the long run and performed so that it is not a risk to the health of the tree, I will cut it and wait for it to grow back, otherwise I will work around it.

Carterbeall

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel on Wed May 04, 2016 8:00 pm

Carterbeall wrote: "A great tree is made usually not by one master but many skilled people over a long period of time, but a great tree is ruined usually by one unskilled person in a short period of time." I hope to be able to pass this tree on better than when it first came under my care. .

You are a wise young man, Carter! I have much confidence that this tree will thrive in your care!

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Carterbeall on Thu May 05, 2016 9:52 pm

jgeanangel wrote:
Carterbeall wrote: "A great tree is made usually not by one master but many skilled people over a long period of time, but a great tree is ruined usually by one unskilled person in a short period of time." I hope to be able to pass this tree on better than when it first came under my care. .

You are a wise young man, Carter!  I have much confidence that this tree will thrive in your care!
Thank you. I appreciate the information about the tree. I will let it grow, then I will see.

Carterbeall

Back to top Go down

Post  Carterbeall on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:49 pm

The longest branches are approaching 4 feet, and there is about a half inch of healing that has occurred on all the dead spots on the tree just since this spring. I can't imagine that the tree could get more vigorous than this. With lots of fertilizer and watering, this tree is keeping pace with all the younger trees. It seems that I should just make cuts or start the air layer now because the branches might thicken out of proportion and cause reverse taper, and I don't think I will achieve anything else by letting the tree grow for the rest of the year. Do you think so?

Carterbeall

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:22 pm

Not having seen this before.. I would cut at the strong bend, fairly low on the trunk. The rest of the trunkline going up is all uniform in thickness (Besides a few bulges) and therefor is hard to integrate. you would also loose the big scare on that section. Then just regrow the canopy top from there..

leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Carterbeall on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:04 pm

Yes, but the only reason that I am unsure to cut now is because Mr. Geanangel suggested that I wait a year for this tree to regain vigour. However, now the tree seems plenty strong enough to be worked on.

Carterbeall

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:06 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum