Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 American Larch styled

+4
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
M. Frary
Leo Schordje
spinnikm
8 posters

Go down

2 American Larch styled Empty 2 American Larch styled

Post  spinnikm Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:01 pm

I collected both of these Larch in spring 2015, they both put on a lot of growth in one season.  This spring I wired both.  Any thoughts or recommendations?  I would like to start working on the roots, but should I wait to repot?2 American Larch styled Larch_10
2 American Larch styled Photo_11
2 American Larch styled Photo_12
2 American Larch styled Photo_10
spinnikm
spinnikm

Back to top Go down

2 American Larch styled Empty Re: 2 American Larch styled

Post  Leo Schordje Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:32 pm

Larch typically are one of the early trees to break dormancy. If you are going to repot, you should do it right now. If there is any green poking out of the buds, it is too late to repot.

You repot only when there is a reason to repot. For example, when soil isn't draining because either it is bad soil or roots have filled the pot. Or to work the roots to improve nebari, or change the angle of a tree or change pots. Growers who use inert media will often leave the larch without repotting for 5 or more years, 10 years is not unheard of. The year you repot, do no further work on the tree for about 12 months after repotting. Wait until you see vigorous growth. If you did heavy root work it can be a 24 month wait for vigorous growth.

Looks like you wired and pruned pretty hard. I would consider waiting a year or two before repotting. Get a nice flush of vigorous growth first.

If your horticulture is at "master level" you might get away with repotting now, but for us mere mortals, I'd go slow. If aftercare is less than perfect you can loose larches due to doing too much in one season without recovery time.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  spinnikm Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Leo, thanks for the tips. If i'm being honest with myself, one of the main reasons I want to repot is to get them out of the big ugly wooden boxes. I also would like to start working on the roots because when I collected them I left all as much root as I could. Im going to wait a year for sure on the smaller one but I may slip pot the bigger one into a smaller wooden box. I put it in too big of a box after collection and it seems to be holding too much moisture.
spinnikm
spinnikm

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:44 pm

These things pump out roots. I've had trees I've collected be rootbound in less than 2 years.
You can do rootwork,collecting up until the buds show a green dot.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:08 pm

well... now i know how i killed mine last year... too much too soon...
i was under the impression they could take more...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:22 pm

Check the AAC blog for my submission entitled...."Tappin' o' Tamarack" to see a larch repot from last April.
"Too much too soon" doesn't sound very Larch-ish....though I did lose a branch this winter.
Suspect it was from an ill-planned, boozed up, trunk bending experiment..... drunken drunken Beaurangel

http://www.arborartscollective.blogspot.com/
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:47 pm

lance - you can do a direct link to a specific post by opening the post before copying the url thingy

heres the post you referred to... i remembered that post but thought there was more to it...  scratch
http://arborartscollective.blogspot.com/2015/04/tappin-o-tamarack.html

and here is the one i believe i commited arborcide on...
http://www.arborartscollective.blogspot.com/#!http://arborartscollective.blogspot.com/2015/04/well.html

havent pitched it out just yet, but... Rolling Eyes
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  spinnikm Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:15 pm

I think I may repot one and leave the other for another season and then report back on the results. Both of these have roots coming out of the drainage holes.
spinnikm
spinnikm

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:20 am

Today. Nowhere as advanced as yours. Laughing
Totally annihilated the root ball. Lots of thick, circling roots. I didn't leave much, and it didn't do too much top growing last year. But it's still alive!Dance
Steaks for scale....and grillin'...farao

2 American Larch styled Dsc01010

2 American Larch styled Dsc01011

Repot... Shocked
2 American Larch styled Dsc00310

Where most would stop, I guess.... What a Face
2 American Larch styled Dsc00311

Not me.... affraid
2 American Larch styled Dsc00312
2 American Larch styled Dsc00313

Need to get one with some girth, like your'n..... santa
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  Cronic Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:47 am

don't you think you were a bit too late with the repotting?
generally (late) winter is good up untill the buds are swelling and starting to turn yellow/green..
repotting when the buds are already open and than bare-rooting the tree might not have been the best of ideas..
hope it works out..

Cronic

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:25 pm

Cronic wrote:don't you think you were a bit too late with the repotting?
generally (late) winter is good up untill the buds are swelling and starting to turn yellow/green..
repotting when the buds are already open and than bare-rooting the tree might not have been the best of ideas..
hope it works out..

Repotted last year....I see you didn't look at "Tappin' o' Tamarack" Rolling Eyes lol!
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi,

LanceMac10 wrote:
Steaks for scale....

European steak portions are half this size! Laughing

... And repotting at this stage of developement should still be OK, though repotting a bit earlier keeps you on the safe side.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:04 pm

AlainK wrote:Hi,

LanceMac10 wrote:
Steaks for scale....

... And repotting at this stage of developement should still be OK, though repotting a bit earlier keeps you on the safe side.

1.88 meters at a touch over 88 kilos......that size steak is a light snack!!! affraid affraid
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:04 pm

LanceMac10 wrote:
(...) 1.88 meters at a touch over 88 kilos......that size steak is a light snack!!! affraid affraid

Smile

We've got something in common: I also weigh 88 kilos - though only 1m78, i'm from a poor family and we didn't eat meat every day you know. But wait until you're 60+ like me and after years of meat and potatoes and Guinness, you'll see Embarassed

Why do you fat Americans hate us?

Crying or Very sad

Laughing

OK, let's cut this jocular conversation here, Mojo man, some might take it seriously Rolling Eyes

AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:20 pm

I don't know if Larix Decidua responds in the same way Larix Laricina does, or Kemphrii (sp?), I have harvested these trees from the wild in August while if full growth.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:35 am

LanceMac10 wrote:
AlainK wrote:Hi,

LanceMac10 wrote:
Steaks for scale....

1.88 meters at a touch over 88 kilos......that size steak is a light snack!!! affraid affraid
How's it going squirt?

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down