Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Linden Tree

+9
Richard S
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Natureini
BobbyLane
coh
John Quinn
Dirk Hoorelbeke
Jesse
MerschelMarco
13 posters

Go down

Linden Tree - Page 2 Empty Re: Linden Tree

Post  coh Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:56 pm

Terrific!

If you have a few moments, perhaps you can share some of your experience with this species...culture (soil, fertilizer), trimming/wiring and how the tree responds? As I mentioned before, I have a couple of these that I had in pots for a year or two, then planted in the ground to build up the trunks. While they were in pots, I had quite a bit of trouble keeping them healthy - leaves would look good early then get yellowish and sometimes curl during the summer. I suspected some kind of nutrient problem but hadn't solved it before planting them in the ground.

By the way, I've found them to be very vigorous in the ground, no problems at all even in our recent harsh winters.

Thanks,

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:35 pm

Bonsai4me says to give them a dose of ericaceous fertiliser from time to time.." Tilia prefer a very slightly acidic soil and on a long-term basis will begin to suffer from the effects of lime in hard water unless given an occasional dose of ericaceous fertiliser." ive got mine in normal bonsai soil/organics, but i have some slow release ericaceous fert on hand if need be. not sure if that helps, im new to the species myself but ive done quite a bit of research on them.

I got these tips from the supplier regarding my own Tilia

"small leaves will come as soon as the tree is mature so with many roots but in a small pot and grown in mineral soil. Fertilizing and watering should be done reasonable. To get more branches you might try cutting of the leaves in early summer (+- two weeks after the leaves are completely developed). Cutting of branches should be done in the winter period."

"An occasional death of branches is not uncommon for Tilia.

Make sure that the tree stands free and gets everywhere  enough light."
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  MerschelMarco Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:43 pm

Chris, this is my only linden tree, so I don´t have much experience. But there is no other treatment, than with my other decidous species like Carpinus betulus or Prunus mahaleb...
My soil consists of "broken expanded clay" (don´t know if these are the right words) together with some peat. My fertilizer are organic and anorganic in turns. Maybe it is a big advantage, that the crown is quite dense now, so the soil surface is in the shadow of the crown. So the soil does not get so hot in summer and the roots stay active.

Regards,
Marco

MerschelMarco

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:00 pm

Thanks Bobby and Marco.

When mine were potted, since they were young seedlings and came from a regular nursery, they were in a more typical nursery mix...heavily peat based, more like "potting soil" than bonsai soil. So it's quite possible they were staying too wet and having some root problems. Once I harvest them from the growing bed they'll be transitioned to an aggregate-based soil. That is still a few years off but I'm very much looking forward to working with them, based on the impressive specimens you've been posting.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Maros Belan Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:59 pm

Nice tree Marco a good progression. Well done mate. I would say it is cordata since platyphyllos tend to produce scary big sized leaves.
I think it likes rather more watering than less, if you keep it too dry in summer leaves tend to get burn marks on edges and sometimes burned spots in centers.
Maros Belan
Maros Belan

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:52 pm

Maros Belan wrote:Nice tree Marco a good progression. Well done mate. I would say it is cordata since platyphyllos tend to produce scary big sized leaves.
I think it likes rather more watering than less, if you keep it too dry in summer leaves tend to get burn marks on edges and sometimes burned spots in centers.

Points noted Maros...being such a leafy tree, i'd imagine it likes a drink too.
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:33 pm

Any update on this tree Marco? Should be popping buds soon I think : )
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Oogway Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:28 am

Hi,
I'm an amateur in Bonsais, but one question is bothering me.

I see in the first pic posted, it seems like a tree of height at least 9-10 ft with well grown trunk.
Why cut such a well grown tree just for Bonsai making?  Isn't bonsai making about getting the trunk growth by our effort?

Though i think the Bonsai looks great after 5 years of work, the first thought i had was "Man! he has cut a big tree just for his bonsai"
Please enlighten.

Thanks.
Oogway
Oogway

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:59 am

Don't get me wrong. To chop the trunk is one of bonsai technique to get ahead of time and have nice thick base for small bonsai tree. This is done if you "don't have time" as human life span is sometimes short to create real bonsai. Why not use this technique if you know what you doing and keep the tree live. Bonsai is a very delicate art and I love it. Hope this help you to better understand bonsai. Smile
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Oogway Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:56 am

@Yamasuri
Well explained, i understand now. Thanks.
Oogway
Oogway

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down