Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jaboticaba

3 posters

Go down

Jaboticaba Empty Jaboticaba

Post  Mark K Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:33 am

Difficult to find info on this little guy. I have removed some unwanted growths from the apex and would like to create a simple broom style bonsai. Thanks in advance for any help, I realize this forum is for more advanced enthusiasts.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f68/19/40/94/02/612.jpg
Mark K
Mark K

Back to top Go down

Jaboticaba Empty Re: Jaboticaba

Post  BrendanR Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:13 pm

Hi

I would recommend that you get some thick wire and wrap it around all those trunks right from the bottom to just short of where the foliage starts growing.

Then gently spread them apart - especially the left hand thick trunk if it is too close to the other trunk that splits. I would also try and get a curve into that thick left hand trunk if at all possible as it is quite straight and uninteresting compared to the one on the right that splits into 2.

I would take some thinner wire and wire up all of the branches at the top of the tree - as many as you can. Once they all have wire on them I would start bending them to achieve 2 things. First. I would try and get a wider spread of the canopy, and second I would try and get the vertical growth to be spread out more horizontally.

This would have the effect of shortening your tree and making it look more in proportion. As the growth is quite focussed on the top you will need to consider a style of tree that suits this growth pattern. Have a look at the acacia trees that grow in africa - they have that flat topped look that you are quite close to acheiving.

I would be very careful to preserve any growth low down. These can be kept as sacrificial branches to thicken up the lower trunks, or even to create additional trunks as they get bigger. I'd keep an eye on them as they grow and create bends with wire in their early states when it is easy to apply.

I think you have actually got a pretty nice little tree, and your choice of soil and pot shows that you have a good approach to the tree's health.

Good luck.

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Couple of thoughts...I've been working with a jaboticaba for the past 4-5 years.

Overall agree with Brendan's suggestion. What I've found with my specimen is, while it is pretty vigorous (and has been actively growing most of the winter under lights), it doesn't seem to want to create new buds/growth from the older parts of the trunk. I've tried hard cut backs and other techniques, and it has been resistant (it will push new buds from the bare parts of branches but not the trunk). I've resorted to trying grafting (thread graft and approach) and those seem slow to take. So, if you let the growth get too leggy you might have trouble chasing it back. I don't know if this is a common problem with the species, or if I'm doing something wrong.

Maybe take some pics from other sides of the tree and post them for people to look at.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Jaboticaba Empty thanks

Post  Mark K Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:22 am

Thanks for both replies regarding the Jaboticaba. I actually have 3 sizes of wire on the way. I thought that maybe I would wait for any wiring until the warmer weather. Frankly because the bark is so seemingly thin I may approach the wiring little by little.
A small shoot has appeared low on one of the trunks. I will enclose some more pics. when time allows.
Thanks again.
Mark K
Mark K

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum