Tilia Cordata/ European Linden

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tilia Cordata/ European Linden

Post  BobbyLane on Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:49 pm

First styling of a small leaved Lime tree, field grown nursery material.

I took a gamble with this tree, as its hard to tell if there is a good base from the website image, but instincts told me that the three thick lower branches should reveal something decent and if not then a good base could be built with those low branches in the future.

Out the box

After a look at the roots, i chose this as the front and potted it up!

Ive reduced the two apex's only slightly, ive also thought about cutting back to one, the right one has more movement. i quite like the multi trunk look though, maybe something to consider in the future..

Then i made some small adjustments in the image, reduced both apex's slightly more and the straight one has a little more movement now. i think i will keep them both, i like the multi trunk form when i see it in nature, in the future ill watch for any swelling where they fork though.
the trunk line has improved, ive removed a branch that was obscuring the base and the one at the front that was causing some slight swelling.

Front

Slight rotation shows the depth now

Looking at the tree further, im also seeing this as an option. no rush though, just a thought.

I think im also going to bring the two lower branches in closer, im waiting to see where ill get some back budding further down each one, maybe the low fat one will be removed and the one above cut back quite hard and regrown to improve taper and ramification, then fill the current image back in.

Tilia cordata is a species of Tilia native to much of Europe, from Britain through central Scandinavia, to central Russia, and south to central Spain, Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, the Caucasus, and western Asia

More on Linden

http://rslandscapedesign.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/ginkgo.html

http://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEV76V7VpTWGcAaxsPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsa3ZzMnBvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-ddc-linuxmint&va=linden+bonsai&hspart=ddc&hsimp=yhs-linuxmint

Edit/update

after some adjustments will now let the tree extend for the growing season

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Re: Tilia Cordata/ European Linden

Post  BobbyLane on Sun May 08, 2016 4:46 pm

Very Happy Tilia

Tilia in the sun today, the Lime leaves look glorious lightly blowing in the wind. this one has a lot of filling out to do and will be cut back mid summer to aid back budding and ramification...

IMG_9981 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9983 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S on Sun May 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Another great tree! You've got a knack for extracting a natural looking look from fairly basic nursery material.

I like it, glad you kept the double apex as well (albeit reduced).

Cheers

Richard

Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane on Sun May 08, 2016 8:09 pm

Cheers Rich, I think im just becoming wiser at picking better material and it always helps when there's a decent amount of growth to work with, as it makes styling a little easier.
Look forward to seeing some of yours updated over the summer too buddy Wink

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  fredtruck on Tue May 10, 2016 1:07 pm

Very nice tree, Bobby, interesting to look at.

fredtruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Indo Andreas on Wed May 11, 2016 1:28 am

nice progression, well done

Indo Andreas

Back to top Go down

Post  brian soldano on Wed May 11, 2016 4:20 am

Nice work.

brian soldano

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane on Wed May 11, 2016 12:23 pm

Thanks for the interest shown everyone....

Its really starting to spread its wings now
IMG_0009 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

At the back ive made some cuts into the base, in a hope to induce new roots...
IMG_0005 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Here you can see how the weight of the new leaves are causing the branch ends to naturally sag, natural growth habit for Tilia
IMG_0010 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Thanks all will update later in season

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  beer city snake on Wed May 11, 2016 12:36 pm

nice material... and a good job on it !
i hope the leaves reduce for you...

i read the text of the posts (though the pics in the initial post do not show up for me here at work) but i am unsure of your intentions with the 2 lowest branches that appear to be coming out of the same place on the lower part of the trunk... it sounds as if you intend to keep both if no unsightly bulging occurs... is that correct ?

personally, i would lose the shorter, fatter and straighter of the 2 regardless of any bulging...
my eye ball cyclops got kinda stuck going back & forth there...

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

By the way, the name is Kevin
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

beer city snake

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane on Wed May 11, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi Kevin, yep down the line ill be thinking about reducing that section, as the tree fills out i probably wont need that heavy branch.  saying that, im keeping an open mind, because if i were to bury the tree slightly deeper it would appear clump like and ive seen some clump style trees where the heavy straight sections were kept, but the lines were visually broken up by sub branches coming off them, if you get what i mean... but i dont think ill bury the tree deeper, but just noting its characteristics...
I was of the opinion that those two right branches would fatten the area around and underneath, thus helping to swell the nebari, which could be of benefit but i could be wrong, im still a newbie you see Smile

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  beer city snake on Wed May 11, 2016 1:02 pm

funny how we can be doing this for years (5 for me) and we are still novices...
i have learned to love that aspect of this tree thing we have...

but of course you are correct in the fattening of the area below...
but the balance between benefit and detriment will just be in the size of the scar upon branch removal...

looking frwrd to updates

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

By the way, the name is Kevin
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

beer city snake

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane on Thu May 12, 2016 8:40 am

Hi Kevin, its the fourth year in bonsai for me, lots to learn, but think ive grasped the basics...
In some of my threads i was using photobucket, now its all Flickr, you can see a full run down of all my trees in the albums link in my sig or if you click on an image, you can view the album with before pics.

Cheers buddy

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback on Thu May 12, 2016 11:52 am

Still do not like this tree. Still in the wrong place. Do improve the tree by putting it on my benches cheers

Seriously, well done!

leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK on Thu May 12, 2016 11:59 am

Very nice tree.

I've heard that defoliating it is possible to reduce the leaves....

AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane on Thu May 12, 2016 2:26 pm

Cheers guys, will update later in year...

Yep Alain, i may give that a try too, my other Tilia with less branching, has much larger leaves, today i cut it back hard,

2016-05-12_04-32-21 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

and will develop the ramification in the ground by way of hedge pruning Very Happy

2016-05-12_04-32-38 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK on Fri May 13, 2016 8:13 am

Hi Bobby,
BobbyLane wrote:
Yep Alain, i may give that a try too, my other Tilia with less branching, has much larger leaves, today i cut it back hard,

Great nebari and very nice movement: I prefer this one. Apparently, it heals well, good point.

AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:54 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum