Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Juniper first styling

3 posters

Go down

Juniper first styling Empty Juniper first styling

Post  alberello Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:49 pm

I aquired this juniper from a local garden centre last year, did not know what to do with it. Here is my fist attempt to style it.
All comments welcome.
Juniper first styling Dsc00410
Juniper first styling Dsc00411

Last edited by alberello on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

alberello

Back to top Go down

Juniper first styling Empty Re: Juniper first styling

Post  John Quinn Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:00 pm

No pic...I know you have posted images previously. Might have to review process. Cool

Hmmm ...there may be a server issue as other posts from today are not visible and I can not post a pic either. Hopefully resolved soon.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:29 pm

visible today

Your remaining branches are long and thin, which generally in a Juniperus chinensis would be thought of as weak. You did not say which variety of Juniper, but I am assuming it is a needle juniper variety. I would leave it alone for a couple years. No wire, no further pruning, no repotting. Just get it out in full sun in spring and let it grow. This tree needs to pick up vigor. In the 3rd year you should have a lot of foliage, which will give you many choices. If you keep working on it sooner than a couples years from now it will continue to weaken, and grow slowly or not at all.

Put it back in where you keep your trees in winter, and let it rest until spring. Then get it growing. You will know you have the horticulture down if new growth is dense, with new growths with many branches. The long thin branches with only a couple branch buds at the end is not what you want. You want dense, compact new growth. Sun, fertilizer, and adequate water should get this baby growing well.

Nice start, and by bending it now, you have avoided the long straight trunk. You could have wired your trunk, with copper wire (holds better than aluminum) the upper part of the trunk, past the upper guide wire is too straight compared to what you have done with the fine branches. You might try putting a few bends in that region too, before you put it away until spring.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  alberello Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:27 pm

Thank you very much for your comments. I have unwired the thin branches but fond it difficult to bend the trunk. Any suggestions on which technique I should use and what direction to bend. The juniper is a squamata "Blue Star".) - Riccardo

alberello

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down