Slanting Copper Beech

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Slanting Copper Beech

Post  BobbyLane on Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:20 pm

This place seems pretty dead, so just sharing some of my recent work to add a little life Wink

Fagus sylvatica purpurea, this is a first styling of a cheap, field grown, nursery plant. I had initially wanted to try a raft with this material but after some thought, ive gone with a slanting style tree, it has some ideal characteristics with a long anchoring root which ive left exposed...

The tree arrived as a balled root ball

I decided to remove the hessian and just lump the root ball on a China mist slab, pretty much a slip n wire in job with minimal disturbance, so kept a lot of the field soil and packed and mixed in some good free draining soil..

When the tree becomes established i can remove this obtrusive wire

Some roots to work with, in time these should gain some character

A Hawthorn i photographed recently is a dead ringer

However, i think my planting more represents a tree leaning over a river bank Wink

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Re: Slanting Copper Beech

Post  Vlad on Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:33 pm

Great idea and perfect execution.   Looks very natural.   The slab makes perfect match.   At the first sight I was thinking about the straight anchoring roots - cover them in a substrate to get more "branching".  But then I have realised that the tree in the nature will do the same as you did.  

What kind of substrate mix do you use?   It looks quite compact on the pics...

I do love the Hawthorn - one of the best I have ever seen. Could you share with us the GPS coordinates? Cool

Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane on Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:55 pm

Vlad wrote:Great idea and perfect execution.   Looks very natural.   The slab makes perfect match.   At the first sight I was thinking about the straight anchoring roots - cover them in a substrate to get more "branching".  But then I have realised that the tree in the nature will do the same as you did.  

What kind of substrate mix do you use?   It looks quite compact on the pics...

I do love the Hawthorn - one of the best I have ever seen. Could you share with us the GPS coordinates? Cool

Hi Vlad, the anchoring roots are a feature of the slanting style, the visible root gives a feeling of strength and security while the tree is leaning in the opposite direction, ive seen this done on windswept as well, but yes it also occurs in nature... its in mostly Kaizen 1 soil, but i used a little of the old field soil in the mix to help keep the soil together on the slab....slabs tend to dry out quite quickly also,
The Hawthorn is in Richmond park, London....its a great place to visit, lots of old and ancient trees along with wild deer.

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane on Sun May 08, 2016 4:43 pm

The fresh spring leaves are out on my Copper Beech..

IMG_9755 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9746 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9740 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9739 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  geo on Sun May 08, 2016 6:33 pm

Just had to say that I much admire your work.This one is a beauty!

geo

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane on Sun May 08, 2016 8:11 pm

Cheers Geo, will update again later in the season Cool

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Vitusus on Sun May 08, 2016 9:09 pm

Lovely tree and I like the shell to which you planted it very much as well.

Vitusus

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine on Mon May 09, 2016 5:14 pm

Bobby,

Very nice work. question please - are these copper leafed beeches "weaker" or less hardy that regular green leaf beech?

Thanks,

Augustine

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane on Mon May 09, 2016 7:16 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone..

Hi Agustine, I couldnt really say...i have heard that before though that they are slower than the green leaved.
Its only my first summer keeping Beech, the Copper one leafed out far quicker than the other two Very Happy
what i can say is, in the English landscape we see far older specimens of the green variety than the red, they may be longer lived n more hardy, but i dont know for certain. they are worth having for the colour alone and look great in the landscape Cool

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:45 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum