Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Project Pine

3 posters

Go down

My Project Pine Empty My Project Pine

Post  timahlen Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:11 am

I  got this Pinus Nigra from a wholesaler down at  Dallas Farmers about three years ago.  I realize that at best it's a huge project.  But the base was so large (about 8" diameter), the overall taper and branch placement good enough that I had to give it a try.  Now, the defects:  (1) A couple of baseball sized bulges caused by branch whorls (2) very long, gangly branches with foliage only at the tips.

Anyone want to help me develop a plan of attack?

Tim Ahlen
Dallas TX
Zone 8

Front
 My Project Pine Img_4312

Side
My Project Pine Img_4313

Here is the trunk line with the whorls virtually carved down:

My Project Pine Austri10

timahlen

Back to top Go down

My Project Pine Empty Re: My Project Pine

Post  Marty Weiser Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:55 am

OK, my 2 cents worth.

Looks like lots of opportunities to do approach (in-arch) grafts to bring the foliage in closer to the trunk. I would probably do several of those this spring to get things started and give you more to work with.

You will most likely need to reduce the height - see above.

Personally, I do not like the tangled roots that help give the tree some of its basal girth. I would probably try to spread and/or reduce them over the next couple of repottings.

I have found that P. nigra can be decandled like P. thunbergiana in a strong growing year and will back bud a fair bit as a result. Last year we had an unseasonably warn winter, spring, and summer so I had one that responded very well to decandling. it had been in its grow box for about 2 years in a coarse soil mix and well fertilized so everything came together at the right time.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:48 am

Yes, back buds, before anything else.

Marty,

fertiliser, what to give, a breakdown, type/ NPK plus micro / strength / how often - what to expect?
Thanks if you have the time.
Any before and after images?
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:56 pm

I use a combination of organic granular fertlizer and inorganic liquid. I can generally find Dr. Earth lawn fertilizer (9-3-5) at a good price and use it as the base. I then add some blood meal, bone meal, Ironite, and epsom salts (the last 2 are not organic, but add iron and magnesium). This gets dumped in a few heaping Tablespoon piles on the surface of the pot. For the liquid I generally use something like Peters or Miracle Grow 20-20-20 and some Alaska Fish Fertilizer in a hose end sprayer once or sometimes twice a week. it is probably about 1/2 strength or a bit less. The other thing to mention is that the best performing of these is in a grow box with a hardware cloth bottom so the drainage is great.

I didn't take any pictures this past year that I can find. I was between rotatory cuff (Dec.) and hip replacement (July) surgery with a very busy work load so pictures were a very low priority.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down