Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inverse Taper.

4 posters

Go down

Inverse Taper. Empty Inverse Taper.

Post  bonsaisr Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:22 am

I was going to post a picture, but I got "Server not Found."
Tree is about a foot tall, grows under lights in the winter.
Conocarpus erectus, Florida buttonwood. Bought it in 2012 from Mike Feduccia. It had completed basic training. I have it in a slanted quasi-literati style. The problem is the trunk has inverse taper at the base. Any suggestions? I have tried scarifying the bark, with little success. It occurs to me that the simplest solution would be to graft about three little rooted cuttings around the base, to make it thicker with better nebari. Is there anyone in Florida or elsewhere who sells rooted cuttings or very small buttonwoods for such purposes?
Would it help if I put it in a training pot with coarse soil?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Inverse Taper. Empty Inverse taper

Post  bonsaisr Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:53 pm

Inverse Taper. Img_0915

Here is the picture. Any suggestions?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Inverse Taper. Empty Re: Inverse Taper.

Post  BrendanR Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:49 am

Can you maybe post a few pics of the base of the tree?

It looks like a gradual taper towards the roots over the length of the trunk? If so, that's quite hard to address.

If you are referring to a sudden inverse right at the level of the roots why not try a ground layer?

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  geo Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:34 pm

I agree with BrendanB. Layer it if you can. Forget Bunjin. No offense intended but this is the ugliest Buttonwood i have seen.
Editing this post 2 days later,allow me to take back that last observation and apologize Embarassed , No call for that.And may your New Year be a good one for you,

Last edited by geo on Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:04 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : more text)
geo
geo

Back to top Go down

Post  steveb Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:23 pm

I think if it were layered right at the point of inverse taper, it would make a nice little tree. However, I don't know a thing about this species and the difficultly/possibility of layering.

Thanks for sharing
steveb
steveb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down