procumbens juniper

View previous topic View next topic Go down

procumbens juniper

Post  s.jones on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:07 am

Hello again, Steve here from Naples. Just a few questions about procumbens juniper. I am headed to Miami tomorrow for Christmas where there is a large nursery selling 5 gallon procumbens nana junipers. After no luck with 2 small ones, I want to get it right this time. I have been in the hobby for at least 8 years and have about 15 nice tropicals going. This is December. I want to know when to prune, when to hard prune(remove branches), create jin, wire, and repot. I have read all the articles, researched and researched, but never asked anyone for advice about care in my area. I need your expert opinions. Thanks, Steve

s.jones

Back to top Go down

Re: procumbens juniper

Post  M. Frary on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:07 am

Hi Steve.
I live a little north of you but I do all of those things to my junipers during the active growing season in spring.
Spring for me is in a few months. When is it for you? Next week?

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  s.jones on Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:04 am

It never gets below 50 degrees here

s.jones

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:23 pm

Here in zone 7 can be repotted in late winter, early spring or a little later (1 month after beginning of spring). You of course have to repot earlier I think late winter or first part of spring whenever that is in your region.

Main question - can a procumbens juniper live in your area? If so....here's on way to do it and opinions vary. Remember that I have no experience in your weather zone.

Remove from the can and saw off 1/3 of the rootball (from the bottom). Then start raking out roots gently and bare root only 1/2 of the rootball. Rake out and prune the other side (of the rootball that is NOT being barerooted) but retain a good amount of the nursery soil and trim roots just a small amount. (At this time you can prune foliage a little bit to allow air and light into the canopy but do not prune alot, no more than 20% of foliage) Place in a container that is smaller than the original can. Other than that let it get strong and if it is vigorous you can prune more the next season, 2017. (Do not overpot.)

Personally, I would leave it in the container for 2 years before repotting and bare rooting the other half of the rootball. (but some will do it the next year.)

Hose the juniper foliage vigorously several times a week to keep the mites at bay. Remember half of the rootball will be in nursery soil so do not overwater (also don't let it get completely dry either). Start feeding gently about 4 weeks after repotting. At the risk of being controversial I suggest organic fert.

While junis survive in your area it really is a bit too hot in your area, treat it accordingly. Do all work slowly, remember that a juniper's strength is in the foliage. Removing a great deal of the foliage at any time will weaken the plant accordingly and I wouldn't chance it in your hot climate. While a juniper likes the sun I would give it some light shade during the hottest part of the day. Morning sun definitely.

Join a club if at all possible, you should meet plenty of people with junipers.

Happy Holidays to all,

Augustine

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:36 pm

I'd bring your trees home, then spend the next year working the TOP of the tree.  And in the meantime, I'd join the Naples of ft. Myers clubs and learn from folks in your temperature zone.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:58 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum