Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European wild pear_The Grandma

+8
AlainK
Khaimraj Seepersad
MichaelS
Herbert A
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Precarious
JimLewis
Vlad
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

European wild pear_The Grandma Empty European wild pear_The Grandma

Post  Vlad Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:18 pm

I have collected this pear in 2011 in Central Bohemia.    Due to the fact that  I have managed to take with me only a very limited number of fine roots I have placed the tree into a purpose built small greenhouse.  In the first weeks the plant has been misted a number of times per day and a lamp with blue spectrum has been used to promote the growth of the roots.  The growth in the first two/three years was quite limited.   2014 was quite good.  Repotted in autumn 2014 - no pruning of the roots though.    This year again, no new growth.   It seems that this old lady doesn't like to be touched under her skirt.  On the other side,  I can see a good growth of new roots so I am waiting eagerly for  next growing season.  

Autumn 2010

European wild pear_The Grandma Hruayk12

Winter look 2015.  Height 55 cm.

European wild pear_The Grandma Cut11

Many flaws but an eye knocking bark/age/character to balance. What do you think?

If interested please see my blog for more details: http://doriyama.blogspot.cz/

Last edited by Vlad on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

European wild pear_The Grandma Empty Re: European wild pear_The Grandma

Post  JimLewis Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:21 pm

VERY interesting tree.  I love pears as bonsai, but I don't read blogs, so I hope you can continue to update it here from time to time.  Thanks for posting.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:10 pm

Very nice tree. I like the bark very much. It is hard to tell for sure from this angle, but does the branch on the right have a trifurcation that would be in danger of creating a bulge?
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:35 pm

Vlad wrote:It seems that this old lady doesn't like to be touched under her skirt.

show me one that does like it and i'll show you a... oh... never mind. Embarassed Razz Wink

that is one dynamite and dynamic tree !!!
i truly hope she ends up thriving for you in time...

Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:04 pm

@ Jim Thank you. I will surely place updates with appropriate comments on the IBC.

@ David Good shooting. There were four branches in fact - see the small stump just in the middle. I would be quite quick to fix it with most of my other trees. With this one it is different. I will take time to see the new growth first.

@ Kevin Thank you for inspiration. I will name one of my next yamadori The Dynamix
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Herbert A Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi Vlad,

what a nice old Lady :-).
Wild pears dont like to work on her roots if they are not strong. After working on roots they have a poor growth for one, sometimes two years.
Be carefull with this nice wunderful tree.

Thanks for showing.

Herbert
Herbert A
Herbert A

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:04 pm

Vlad wrote:@ Kevin   Thank you for inspiration.  I will name one of my next yamadori The Dynamix

or if she doesnt mind you playing with her roots, she could me a DYNAMINX Wink
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelS Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:13 am

Hi Vlad. This is excellent material with fantastic potential. My only concern is the two directions the tree is headed in. Just my opinion of course, but i believe this problem should be resolved in the near future (next couple of years) If left as is, you may find that it will become more and more visually distracting. Either the left or the right movements would be equaly good.

It's very hot today and I don't have much to do so I played around with designs.

Right

European wild pear_The Grandma Image

Or left. I prefer this but the smaller trunk will have to be brought in closer to the main trunk or removed I think.

European wild pear_The Grandma Image
MichaelS
MichaelS

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:30 pm

if this is open for opinions, i agree with michael... except i prefer the first orientation (right) as it seems more "solid"...
the left option, (as presented) looks "tippy" or as if it is falling over (which of course would be easily remedied by a potting angle change)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:47 pm

I like it enough to hope that it survives.

Really like that bark.
Please keep showing Vlad.
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:15 pm

It is quite obvious this tree is well above my level - too much respect for it.  If I live in Japan I would find a bonsai master whose trees are close to my soul and let him to style it.  Then ideally the tree will get into a place where it can be viewed by general public.  As this is not the case I would need to find some other solutions.  

Thank you all very much for your +comments, advice and  styling suggestions.

Mike I do appretiate your effort to make two possible designs for me.   I hope there will be more hot days in the future to help me with this tree.  I understand your point regarding the small tree.   The direction and the shape of its trunk is not good and I need to decide how to style it pretty soon.   For some emotional reasons I plan to keep it.   For the main tree - basic care to regain the top health is the No1 priority for me.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Vlad wrote:It is quite obvious this tree is well above my level - too much respect for it.  If I live in Japan I would find a bonsai master whose trees are close to my soul and let him to style it.  Then ideally the tree will get into a place where it can be viewed by general public.  As this is not the case I would need to find some other solutions.

NO tree should be above anyone's level if he or she isn't in a hellfire hurry to DO SOMETHING.   If nothing else, just work on the roots for this one for the next few years while you study and assess the top.  There are any number of competent bonsaiests in Europe, surely you can get one (or several) of them to take a look.  Visit one of the shows and bring the tree with you.  People will flock to make suggestions.  Just don't take any but the best.

Last edited by JimLewis on Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix one of my many typos these days)
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:17 pm

A very promissing tree Vlad.

The bark of wild pear is beautiful. We all long for the flowers on such trees, but when potted it can take a loooong time.

I would personally try to avoid big scars and "jins" and "uro" or other tricks on such a natural-looking tree.

Alain
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:40 am

Alain - any idea why the common pears take long time to produce flowers in a pot?
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:59 am

I really have no idea. scratch

In nature, I think they have to be at least 10 years old to flower, after reaching a certain height. Maybe pruning them slows the process, even if cultivated species have to be pruned to flower at their best. Hard to tell...
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:23 pm

My little pear has NEVER flowered and I've had it for Many, Many years.  Its parent trees on my Tallahassee farm bloomed profusely every year.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:03 am

Autumn colours

European wild pear_The Grandma 00810

European wild pear_The Grandma 003_co10
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:28 pm

Beautiful colours indeed.

And once again, the bark texture is outstanding.

Some use fertilizers in autumn for fruit trees, at or after leaf fall, with a low proportion of Nitrogen (N), a high proportion of of Phosphate (P, for the resistance of the tree), and an even higher proportion of Potash (P, to boost flowering). For instance NPK 3-6-9, or even 0-14-26.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:33 pm

My pears have never ever produce a single bloom. Every single year I am full of hope but no luck so far. Never mind It will come one day...

Thank you for your hint, Alain. I guess that most of the fruiting trees produce flower buds ( or better to say the buds start to differentiate ) in the mid of summer. In my region = July. If that is true then I think that late Autumn or spring fertilisation with high P and K will help. Last year I have used for this pear PK 50-18. Zerro effect. I do remember what Jim Lewis wrote about his pear...
As you said earlier. It is about fert, pruning, cultivation. And about the tree.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:28 pm

Lovely, Vlad....thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Tom

Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:37 pm

thanks for bringing this one back up...

really great tree...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:17 pm

@ Tom & Kevin. Thank you guys for your comments.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

European wild pear_The Grandma Empty Pear Tree.

Post  jungle Jas Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:09 pm

Very nice tree, look after it Vlad.

jungle Jas

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:58 pm

jungle Jas wrote:look after it Vlad.

This is THE single most important task for me.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

European wild pear_The Grandma Empty and now for something completely different

Post  breck Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:06 pm

probably way to radical, but it shouted at meEuropean wild pear_The Grandma Image11

breck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next