Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hawthorn Styling

4 posters

Go down

Hawthorn Styling  Empty Hawthorn Styling

Post  Thomas Urban Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Howdy, I just wanted to show the progression of this tree since I collected it two years ago. When I found it, the tree didn't particularly have great nebari or lower branching, but something about the lowest branch it had enticed me. I decided to keep it and see what I could do once it came time to style it for the first time.

Hawthorn Styling  Dsc_0310
The reason for the ridiculous inclination was because when I was trying to secure the tree to the pot, it just kept falling over as I had no one to assist me. I felt really bad at that point because I was sure by it moving around so much that whatever roots I managed to keep must have been torn up, but this tree wanted to keep going.

Hawthorn Styling  May_3111
Later that growing season...I didn't really know what was supposed to be the front or if I should try making it into a raft style. I also took the only remaining branch from the original tree and gave it a nice 180, my thoughts were that if it doesn't survive I had other shoots to work with and maybe it would be a key feature on this tree.

Hawthorn Styling  Dsc_0012
     the next summer I wanted to get some styling in, I thought maybe this way?

Hawthorn Styling  Dsc_0013
     this? probably not

Hawthorn Styling  Dsc_0014
Then a friend of mine suggested this side, I never saw it before so thanks to him I got an idea what to do with it. He told me of course to remove the original branch.

Hawthorn Styling  Novemb10
  This is what it looks like today after all the leaves are off. I did some more wiring a couple months ago but I think this may be the way it can go forward. Of course there needs to be some good carving work to be done and this tree needs to fill out much much more.

Any opinions on what you would do with it? Perhaps some virtuals?

Thank you
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Hawthorn Styling  Empty Re: Hawthorn Styling

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:51 pm

perhaps it is the angle of the last photo, but that descending branch appears to be distractingly straight...
do you have the desire to do anything with that ?
or is it just the angle of the photo ?
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:44 am

Yeah, that;s the same branch I kept from the very first photo and it is quite straight, I just feel that it can be used somehow. I could always remove it in the future but to see if I could make some ramification on it and then see whether or not it's worth it. I felt that this could be a very not typical hawthorn or tree.

Thanks for the input!
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:04 pm

I would cut it short and build an apex from there.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:42 am

Nice material, lots of character in the bark and some nice natural looking dead wood.

I also like the idea of having a main branch which flows back in the opposite direction to the trunk movement but the long, thick, straight branch you've chosen just doesn't look right to my eye. If it was mine I think I'd have to cut it off. Its straightness just conflicts too greatly with the shape of the trunk.

I can perhaps see why you wanted to try using it early on (you didn't really have many other options) but you now have several other branches under development which could presumably be allowed to grow out and have nice movement wired into them.

I think trying to create something different or not typical is a very good idea but I'd try and do it by growing new branches rather than by using that old one.

At least that's what I think looking at the photos, I realise it may look very different in the flesh.

Good luck anyway which ever way you choose to go.

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:44 pm

Thanks for your input Richard and M. Frary, I will keep thinking about keeping it vs. removing it.
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:15 pm

if you keep it, a coupla branch benders would do wonders for that straight stretch...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:30 pm

Update on the hawthorn.

After two seasons I re-potted today into a pot by Jiri Svacina. The beginning of carving the deadwood as well as some branch benders took place on Saturday. I would like to bring the thick branch even closer, create more branching for a better structure and then eventually working on ramification. Smile

Hawthorn Styling  Img_0510

Hawthorn Styling  Img_0511
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:25 pm

well - branch benders certainly did the trick on that straight stretch !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:42 pm

Wow, you really like small pots don't you!

Mind you, it's a beauty.

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:55 pm

yes I like small pots : )

I was surprised after I bought the pot and didn't have the tree around to compare it with it; the pot seemed much smaller than I thought it was after taking the tree out of the first container. I may need to change it down the road as the non-existing crown develops. Thanks for the comments. I'll update when the leaves come out fully.
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down