Cement pots

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cement pots

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:15 am

Hey Folks,

I believe there are mixes of concrete that are able to withstand winter, and of course you can do like the Japanese of old [ zone 7 ] bury your pots, just see the old images.

Anyhow, for concrete I am suggesting if building on shapes [ the soil section is the shape ] upside down. Applying the stiffened mix over the shape and allowing it to stiffen a bit more and then carving / adding in information for the pot - feet, lips and lines etc.

After curing, you can try this, a paraffin wax glaze. Simply render the paraffin liquid, solvent or heat and add concrete pigment for colour.

I have a concrete pot using a wax crayon as glaze, doing well in our hot sun for over 6 months.

Will send an image as soon as I can, my photographer has gone on holidays, so I will have to beg a favour elsewhere.
Laters.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Re: Cement pots

Post  kevin stoeveken on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:07 pm

i have made a concrete pot (the kind of crete w/ latex in it ?)

when it was dried, it was far too white, so i soaked it in water to which i added liquid iron...
soaked for a week or two, then rinsed thoroughly and then a clear water soak for another week or so.

this was in spring and i have had it sitting outside all summer now and it still looks good.

process details on our blog (might have to scroll down a bit)

http://arborartscollective.blogspot.com/2015/06/blog-post.html

i thought i had a picture of it with the iron stain, but cant find it right now...

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum