Pear color

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pear color

Post  JimLewis on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:00 am

It's always the last one to show color. Pyrus pyrifolia.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Pear color

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:37 am

You seem to get the best fall colours i've seen on this forum!! thanks for posting Jim.

Back to top Go down

Re: Pear color

Post  Jerry Meislik on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:28 am

Jim,
What a show!
Jerry
www.bonsaihunk.us

Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  slowly but surely on Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:58 am

Jim (or anyone else!)

I have a pear tree (full size) in my yard that gets pretty mind blowing fall colors and has some great gnarled branches and smallish leaves. Does anyone have any advice / comments / etc. on propagating? Do they respond well to air layering and if so what time of year? Thanks

Also, beautiful tree Jim!

slowly but surely

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:16 am

This little tree is second generation from seed. It's parent tree was the result of a batch of very tasty pear relish Jackie made back in 1976. The cores were just tossed out the back into the edge of the woods. I transplanted six of the resulting sprouts to my driveway and before we moved they'd all grown to 35 feet and were a sight to behold spring and fall. This one is a seedling from one of those, dug in 1992. It has never flowered, but the fall color makes up for that.

I'd guess they would layer fairly easily. They're a member of the Rose family, of course, which means cuttings will require a bit of luck and a very strong dose of rooting hormone. Pear seeds require cold stratification, according to Dirr. Of course, we let Ma Nature take care of that. Razz

I'd layer after the last threat of frost.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Rozman on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:35 am

Lovely

Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 on Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:40 pm

absolutely stunning jim! cheers

anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 on Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:54 pm

Awesome color. We never have anything like that in S Florida, we have either green or brown.. Smile

-dorothy

dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:23 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum