Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The IBC Mugo Train

+5
AlainK
JimLewis
LanceMac10
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
M. Frary
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The IBC Mugo Train Empty The IBC Mugo Train

Post  M. Frary Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:08 am

Since mugo pines are being used more and more in bonsai and with no little thanks to Vance Wood himself. He pioneered all of the techniques we all use on mugo pines now.
 I'm not discounting the excellent yamadori of Europe nor what guys like Walter Pall and Graham Potter do with them.
  But here in the U.S. mugo pine doesn't grow wild. So we use nursery stock. These things are a totally different animal altogether. Anybody looking at a nursery mugo thinks it could be a bonsai. It has small needles,cool bark,low branches and can be grown in a container. Upon closer inspection they have masses of branches eminating from the same knuckle. They also resent being repotted in the spring like other pines. In fact you may be signing it's death sentence doing this.
  But there is hope. There is a man who figured all of this out and more. Vance Wood. These trees are his passion. He has some that are world class trees in my opinion.
  So with that being said I would like to build a thread where all here who have these trees post them up and ask any question about mugos you like. I'll be your conductor and take you to your seats,if Vance likes he can be the engineer.
  I started one of these threads elsewhere and it is a HUGE hit.
 I would start by posting one of mine (I have a few) but all I have is a smartphone and this sight doesn't accept pictures from them. Their loss but oh well I still love Jim anyway.
  So here we go! Destination parts unknown,the train is pulling out of the station!
ALL ABOARD!
    Kevin, get your tree on here now before it stall before even leaving the station!
Or better yet link or post the picture of that big one of mine from the AAC blog if you can.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

The IBC Mugo Train Empty Re: The IBC Mugo Train

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:25 pm

what did that little train say in the childrens book ?

ithinkicanithinkicanithinkican
iknowicaniknowicaniknowican

whoooo-wooo chugacugachuga

what you said above is why i glommed onto vance when i started considering getting one...

my questions have been answered for now as i cant do anything until i get it out of the ground again...
but i will come to this thread for questions, advice and to see what others are doing...

but mike... if you can, email me some pics and i think i can PM them to you and you should be able to post em from there... ?
or better yet, get some teenager or sci-fi generationer (as i call em) to show you how to post from your phone...
others do it so it can be done...

stoked on this thread and great idea starting it...

and for now, here is yours from the AAC blog ( http://arborartscollective.blogspot.com/ )

The IBC Mugo Train 2015-010

leo - if you see this, bring yours over too...
you even titled your post 'the mugo train" Laughing

Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:27 pm

perhaps this thread will even warrant being moved to "top threads" status !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:02 pm

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00615

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00616

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00617

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00618

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00619

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00620

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00621

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00622

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00623

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00522

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00523

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00524
flower
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:23 pm

Thanks Kevin. I'll see if we can work something out for getting pictures of my trees on here. I have a few. More than a few.
Very nice Lance! Looks like you need no questions answered. Which means you should field some questions about mugo pines.
Now everyone else here with a mugo in any stage needs to post a pic. and any questions or advice on the train.
By doing this Vance doesn't need to search or miss out on any mugo. He just has to look here. He really likes helping and seeing others trees. If he doesn't I'll call him and have him take a look. I imagine he's getting trees ready for winter now.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:30 pm

Lance, nice tree, but I hope you can eventually get that trunk more toward the center of the pot.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:08 pm

Thanks, Jim. The plan is to repot next summer into the container pictured. I think it will make for a nice pairing.
A recent addition.....just couldn't pass it by.....although it took the beer budget for the month from dark & chewy to light & tinkely!!

Thanks for commenting! tongue
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:38 pm

A Pinus mugo I bought in Feb. 2008. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the tree before working on it, but basically, it looked like a ball:

The IBC Mugo Train 20120225000501-fbe11ed7

21st August 2015:

The IBC Mugo Train 20150821231732-3b130be0-me

AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:58 pm

tre bon, Alain!!!

Very graceful and pleasantly regal... Cool

No pack of Rizzlas for scale? Hehehe.... What a Face
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:12 pm

LanceMac10 wrote:

No, but I have this booklet of "Elements" that my son brought me from a trip to Switzerland:

The IBC Mugo Train 20151108170935-58b2be05-me

Beaurangel
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:24 pm

Wonderful!!

Seeing it's size now creates that much better of an image.

Enjoy! Laughing
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:15 pm

unless those are rasta size alien
nice tree alain... hard to believe the first pic is the same tree...
was a good length of the trunk buried in pic 1 ?

lance... you bet one of those sarah pots will dent the beer budget...
should look good with that tree though...

(as an aside, one of our "mikes" went to her studio and she has a scratch n dent area... wheeee !)

Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:52 pm

beer city snake wrote:
... hard to believe the first pic is the same tree...
was a good length of the trunk buried in pic 1 ?

Not really, as far as I can remember most of the roots were close to the soil surface. I let it recover for a couple opf years, then put it in a training pot. Here's a picture from February 2011:

The IBC Mugo Train 20120225000504-d11edfd8-me
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:57 am

AlainK wrote:
LanceMac10 wrote:

No, but I have this booklet of "Elements" that my son brought me from a trip to Switzerland:

The IBC Mugo Train 20151108170935-58b2be05-me

Beaurangel
Nice looking tree Alain! I have one that could be from the same litter.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 pm

beer city snake wrote:what did that little train say in the childrens book ?

what you said above is why i glommed onto vance when i started considering getting one...

my questions have been answered for now as i cant do anything until i get it out of the ground again...
but i will come to this thread for questions, advice and to see what others are doing...

but mike... if you can, email me some pics and i think i can PM them to you and you should be able to post em from there... ?
or better yet, get some teenager or sci-fi generationer (as i call em) to show you how to post from your phone...

and for now, here is yours from the AAC blog ( http://arborartscollective.blogspot.com/ )

you even titled your post 'the mugo train"  Laughing

Does this particular Mugo come with a tag where by we can identify the cultivar? The tree looks a bit "wild" as the needles seem to go all over the place. This is not bad but it makes me ask the question above. What kind of exposure to the sun does this tree get? The sun helps reduce the size of needles.

You are probably not ready to start doing anything significant to this tree but here is one thing you can do that will encourage some back budding and give you the opportunity to inspect the tree branch by branch. Remove all of the downward growing/facing needles except for the ones at the very tip of the branch. This helps clean up the profile and allows light to enter the interior of the tree.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:27 pm

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00616

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00617

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00618

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00619

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00620

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00621

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00622

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00623

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00522

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00523

The IBC Mugo Train Dsc00524
flower [/quote]

I like this little guy.  It appears to be either Tiny or Little Gem or it could be Valley Cushion.  Both are exteme dwarf cultivars.  I have only indirectly played around with them but if they are anything like my Mops, aka my Zombi Mugo which was apparently dead for two years and came back, you must repot them in the summer.  Below is the tree before I started refining the design this summer.  I only have a video of that tree right now.

The IBC Mugo Train <a href= The IBC Mugo Train P4aauqd" />

I really like the Sara Pot, her stuff is worth the money, they last for ever.

Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:40 pm

AlainK wrote:A Pinus mugo I bought in Feb. 2008. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the tree before working on it, but basically, it looked like a ball:

The IBC Mugo Train 20120225000501-fbe11ed7

21st August 2015:

I really like this little guy. If I could be so bold as to offer suggestions, if you remove the downward growing needles and wire up the ends of the branches you will make a vast improvement in the appearance of your tree.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:40 pm

Thanks Vance, I'll do that Wink
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:29 pm

AlainK wrote:Thanks Vance, I'll do that Wink
Another suggestion if you are up to it. I assume that you are displaying this tree from the intended front? If so here is what I would do. Wire the lowest branch on the left somewhat more around to the right and back so that the smaller branch on the right of this branch can now double as a back branch. This will in all probability mean the you will have to wire and bend the major portion of the branch back out to the side. The point being you have shortened the silhouette and created a back brabcg which you are in bad need of.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:55 pm

Vance, thanks again: that is very good advice, I can already picture out what it could look like ThumbsUp

Merci beaucoup Cool

Alain
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:58 pm

I am excited to see it too.

You can use a guy wire to bring the major branch (on the left) in closer to the trunk, wire that back branch around to the back and lay it out. The two remaining branches are wired out so that they form a pad.  You could also guy wire down the top of the tree to close and tighten up the large gap between the second branch on the right and the top of the tree.  Lay out the rest of the branch tips like a pad and you will have a pretty nice looking bonsai.  JMHO
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:54 pm

vance - i think you may have missed this question in the post where i directed you to this thread...

beer city snake wrote:i am pretty much ready to do what i can safely do...
so getting it out of most of the nursery soil and repotting it would be OK at this time of year ?
then back to the garden for winter or would garage shelter be better ?

and thanks very much for the advice !!!

Vance Wood wrote:I can't find the Mugo train thread???

its under the "bonsai questions"  section

i saw your reply to alain, so maybe i misunderstood when you said to put it in a box now...
(which would entail pulling it back out of the garden to do, which i easily can...)

again - thanks
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:29 pm

i saw your reply to alain, so maybe i misunderstood when you said to put it in a box now...
(which would entail pulling it back out of the garden to do, which i easily can...)

again - thanks[/quote]

Yes it would.  if it has only been in the ground a few days or even a week it should not make much of a difference. You would only be slip potting it anyway. You want to give it a chance to develop new roots so that in a couple of seasons you can disrupt the soil mass.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:30 pm

Vance Wood wrote:
beer city snake wrote:what did that little train say in the childrens book ?

you even titled your post 'the mugo train"  Laughing

Does this particular Mugo come with a tag where by we can identify the cultivar?  The tree looks a bit "wild" as the needles seem to go all over the place.  This is not bad but it makes me ask the question above.  What kind of exposure to the sun does this tree get?  The sun helps reduce the size of needles.  

You are probably not ready to start doing anything significant to this tree but here is one thing you can do that will encourage some back budding and give you the opportunity to inspect the tree branch by branch.  Remove all of the downward growing/facing needles except for the ones at the very tip of the branch.  This helps clean up the profile and allows light to enter the interior of the tree.
I keep it in full sun Vance.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:39 pm

gotcha... thanks vance !!!
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content