my new nursery mugo

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: my new nursery mugo

Post  Vance Wood on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:15 pm

beer city snake wrote:so vance - you say putting it in a box would be something for a couple years from now, but i can start branch removal next season...

i cannot keep it where i plopped it in the garden for more than this winter and spring.

it is extremely vigorous seeming and as with alexandra's, it had evidence of an abundance of michrorizal (sp?) fungi.
i am also lucky that the root ball did not seem to have much clay to it...

after the 2016 summer solstice, and if i can avoid tooooo much root work, do you reckon i would be safe getting it into a box or large pot and then proceed with some branch removal (no more than half) for the 2016 season ?

(i wanted to pose that question in the mugo train thread, but after the replies to this thread, i kept it here)

Then I would build the box now and put it in the box.  I was just saying on the side of not pressuring you to do anything you are not ready to do.

I can't find the Mugo train thread???

Vance Wood
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: my new nursery mugo

Post  kevin stoeveken on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:50 pm

i am pretty much ready to do what i can safely do...
so getting it out of most of the nursery soil and repotting it would be OK at this time of year ?
then back to the garden for winter or would garage shelter be better ?

and thanks very much for the advice !!!

Vance Wood wrote:I can't find the Mugo train thread???

its under the "bonsai questions" section

_________________

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

kevin stoeveken
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: my new nursery mugo

Post  Vance Wood on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:33 pm

beer city snake wrote:i am pretty much ready to do what i can safely do...
so getting it out of most of the nursery soil and repotting it would be OK at this time of year ?
then back to the garden for winter or would garage shelter be better ?

and thanks very much for the advice !!!

Vance Wood wrote:I can't find the Mugo train thread???

its under the "bonsai questions"  section

I found it, thank you

Vance Wood
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: my new nursery mugo

Post  AlainK on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:48 pm

Bonsoir tout le monde,

beer city snake wrote:
[...]getting it out of most of the nursery soil and repotting it would be OK at this time of year ?
then back to the garden for winter or would garage shelter be better ?

That's a very interesting question: I read that mugo pines can best repotted in August. What"s your experience?... Vance, "abcd" ( Rolling Eyes ), ...

AlainK
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: my new nursery mugo

Post  Vance Wood on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:57 pm

I usually don't start repotting until after the summer solstice, August is fine. You will however, or at least people used to, complain about summer repotting. I have found over the years that this works best with them but still you should avoid bare rooting.

Vance Wood
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: my new nursery mugo

Post  AlainK on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:00 pm

ThumbsUp

AlainK
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: my new nursery mugo

Post  my nellie on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:13 pm

Hello everybody!
AlainK wrote:Bonsoir tout le monde,
... ...I read that mugo pines can best repotted in August. What"s your experience?... Vance, "abcd" ( Rolling Eyes ), ...
Alain, here in Athens (hot, dry summers) repotting in June (18/06/2013) didn't work. The tree died soon after... It was not a mugo pine but a grafted sylvestris.

my nellie
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: my new nursery mugo

Post  Vance Wood on Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:39 am

my nellie wrote:Hello everybody!
AlainK wrote:Bonsoir tout le monde,
...  ...I read that mugo pines can best repotted in August. What"s your experience?... Vance, "abcd" ( Rolling Eyes ), ...
Alain, here in Athens (hot, dry summers) repotting in June (18/06/2013) didn't work. The tree died soon after... It was not a mugo pine but a grafted sylvestris.

I don't remember you giving a precise date of 18/06/2013 when we spoke sometime last year.  In my experience that seems too early, I wait till after the June 21 summer solstice.  Or---you can try in early spring just as the buds start to change color, that seems to be the standard time growers in Europe use.  If neither of those work then one of two things are likely taking place:  One, you are doing something wrong, or Two, any tree that is grafted falls outside of my expertise, I do not use them because I have never found one amongst the trees I cultivate.  Having said that, a graft makes the tree neither one or the other, but an individual with it's own set of rules.  If the tree is sold for the landscape trade then it sure should be able to be cultivated as a bonsai.

Vance Wood
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: my new nursery mugo

Post  my nellie on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:25 am

Hello, Mr. Wood!
I am really surprised and honored that you remember me and my experiment tree and all the conversation on the other forum, Sir!
Vance Wood wrote:I don't remember you giving a precise date of 18/06/2013 when we spoke sometime last year.  
- Yes, indeed. I have looked for the exact date checking the properties of relative photos in order to be precise.

In my experience that seems too early, I wait till after the June 21 summer solstice.  Or---you can try in early spring just as the buds start to change color, that seems to be the standard time growers in Europe use.  
- I also believe that early spring is best/standard time for southern Europe/Mediterranean. Probably something was done wrong, too. But I am not that knowledgeable to distinguish which. I believe I have followed the instruction, though.

If neither of those work then one of two things are likely taking place:  One, you are doing something wrong, or Two, any tree that is grafted falls outside of my expertise, I do not use them because I have never found one amongst the trees I cultivate.  Having said that, a graft makes the tree neither one or the other, but an individual with it's own set of rules.  
- And I remember your reference to the fact that the tree was grafted.
I also believe that taking into account just temperature, which is what I did, is not enough. One should consider also the humidity/dryness, altitude and other factors in order to come to a more or less true conclusion/decision regarding cultivation.


If the tree is sold for the landscape trade then it sure should be able to be cultivated as a bonsai.
- In Greece one can only find landscape material. Nothing else!
Thank you for your time and comments!

my nellie
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: my new nursery mugo

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:06 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum