Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Beech/Shohin

+3
augustine
JimLewis
BobbyLane
7 posters

Go down

European Beech/Shohin Empty European Beech/Shohin

Post  BobbyLane Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:39 pm

Fagus Sylvatica, I acquired the tree a few days ago, ive wired it and will re pot in spring. overtime will develop the fine ramification.
European Beech/Shohin P1170957_1
European Beech/Shohin IMG_7782
European Beech/Shohin IMG_7790
European Beech/Shohin IMG_7801
European Beech/Shohin IMG_7793
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

European Beech/Shohin Empty Re: European Beech/Shohin

Post  JimLewis Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:49 pm

Lots of promise there.  We wouldn't dare try a shohin with the American beech.  Leaves are too big, don't reduce, and it is almost impossible to get a second flush of growth out of them after the first spring bud break, so ramification -- if it happens at all -- takes longer than forever.  I've tried.  Repeatedly.  Because the American beech is my absolute favorite tree in the whole wide world;  just have to enjoy them in the woods.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:16 pm

Bobby Lane,

I love beech and yours is great. In addition to pinching pruning strong buds in the apex (in late winter) seems to work well to ramify the tree and bring the balance the enengy the very strong apex. It is easy to balance the energy on a beech because you can clearly see the whether the buds are big and fat, small and skinny or somewhere in the middle.

Best regards, I'd love to have your tree on my bench.(I am trying to work with two collected American Beech but I fully agree with Jim's comments on the species, very problematic. However I have not yet had my fill and am at least enjoying the beautiful fall foliage.)

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Thanks for the comments folks, Beech and Hornbeam are my favourite atm, just love the winter colours. i was a little disappointed when the tree came all the leaves were already off! so just set about wiring it and will have to enjoys the yellow n brown leaves next season, but the naked image is also a joy.
Yes ive heard about this with the American Beech, i guess just to keep trying different leaf reducing techniques. im going to be trying the techniques for more ramification on Beech from bonsai4me. Thanks for the tips everyone..
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:07 pm

JimLewis wrote:Lots of promise there.  We wouldn't dare try a shohin with the American beech.  Leaves are too big, don't reduce, and it is almost impossible to get a second flush of growth out of them after the first spring bud break, so ramification -- if it happens at all -- takes longer than forever.  I've tried.  Repeatedly.  Because the American beech is my absolute favorite tree in the whole wide world;  just have to enjoy them in the woods.

I have an american beech and I get a 2nd flush of growth-even if I don't prune sometimes, and good ramification doesn't take long at all really-2-3 years for something ok, 5 and your gold. At least on my american beech
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:23 pm

Not sure if Jim's seen this article but its worth a read if wanting to reduce leaf size and induce the second flush http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Beechadvancedpruning.htm

http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATBeechbonsaiprogression.htm
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:14 pm

European beech and American beech respond differently to pruning techniques in my experience. Just be careful trying to apply the treatments shown for EU to AM.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:31 pm

The issue of Beech reluctant to put out a second flush is common in both the EU and American. Ive spoke to folks who've kept the EU Beech and they've said the tree puts out one flush and then just sits there all summer doing nothing else. Judy I believe you when you say you've tried everything and nothings worked. hopefully i can get mine to respond to the techniques posted...
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:21 pm

I do have some luck with my EU beech and getting second flush, just not American beech.  Just wanted to make sure folks don't try these techniques with American and fail. Looks like Giga has had a different experience, maybe it varies from tree to tree, or location.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:41 pm

Actually i have an American Beech with relatively small leaves. I've only removed some strong buds to balance energy and some pinching, haven't tried any defoliation techniques. Also, in accordance with the info from Brent Walston's website, Evergreengardenworks.com, I am using a sacrifice branch to develop the tree. Anyway we'll see.

Best to all and thanks to everyone for the input and photos.

Augustine

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:47 pm

Hi folks, just an updated image of my Beech taken a few weeks ago after more wiring and clean up of structure.

European Beech/Shohin IMG_8278

Will update again in spring.
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  james_smith Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:15 pm

Nice carvings! I like this a lot. It looks very natural.

james_smith

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:32 pm

Thanks buddy, i didnt do the carving myself but it was one of the reasons i bought it Wink
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Wed May 11, 2016 12:51 pm

Hi folks, just an update on my Beech, which was re potted a couple weeks ago...
New angle and slight change in styling....its taking on the appearance of a veteran Oak tree now

European Beech/Shohin 26194758143_6366584a1e_zOak like Beech by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
European Beech/Shohin 26344574564_360e90c374_zIMG_0018 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
European Beech/Shohin 26916508886_c90dc561d2_zIMG_0016 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
European Beech/Shohin 26916506926_fed6ab6aca_zIMG_0021 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
European Beech/Shohin 26835441715_6a4f6cfa49_zIMG_9602 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Tree Hugger Wed May 11, 2016 3:10 pm

JimLewis wrote:American beech is my absolute favorite tree in the whole wide world;  just have to enjoy them in the woods.

Mr. Lewis,

American Beech is one of my favorite trees as well. I frequent this board and respect your opinions and experience. I have seen may of your trees.

I am trying to train a winged elm that I hope will eventually look like an American Beech native to this region. I started a post titled "Winged Elm (Ulmus alata)". I would greatly appreciate your opinion as to how I should proceed training my winged elm.

Thank you in advance.

Tree Hugger

Tree Hugger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down