Peculiar Privet Query

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Peculiar Privet Query

Post  justclox on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:02 pm

I had a really super Ligustrum ovafolium (privet) designed by a UK Master Bonsai Artist. It was mainly dead-wood, but with a small area of live plant. In my ignorance I completely over fertilized it, and consequently killed (burnt) the roots. I used a 20.20.20 pelleted fertilizer with "gay abandon". Upshot... I killed the roots.

Question:
If I drilled a hole down through the dead husk, could I thread a new live bare rooted plantlet through the long hole and still use the roots of the new plant to supply the new thread grafted plant?

I can not find any answers, or even a mention to this anywhere. OK. What do you think? Is it possible?

Regards,
Alistair

justclox

Back to top Go down

Re: Peculiar Privet Query

Post  BobbyLane on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:46 pm

Pellets are a form of fertilizer that slowly release nutrients at every watering, so im not sure that would have damaged the roots of a Privet. if youve killed the roots the tree would be dead.

Last edited by BobbyLane on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:48 pm

If the original plant is dead, then grafting a seedling to it won't be possible.

Tom

Back to top Go down

Taniki

Post  breck on Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:33 pm

clean off the wood, carve a slot in a suitable part of the trunk, from just below soil level to where you want the live top to be,using tiny stainless steel pins /nails attach the live plant to the dead wood, if possible first cutting a sliver of bark off the live plant where it wwill be in contact with the dead wood.
Seal the joint between live and dead wood with waxplant as usual fixing the deadwood firmly into the pot.
It would be wise to treat the deqdwood with wood hardener where it will be below soil level.
It is an old Japanese style I believe called a taniki
Good luck

breck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:38 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum