Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

feeding yamadori

5 posters

Go down

feeding yamadori Empty feeding yamadori

Post  waway Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:57 pm

Hi guys. I have a question for those of you who are "bonsai huters" those who hunt for yamadori.

What do you feed your newly potted yamadori?

waway

Back to top Go down

feeding yamadori Empty Re: feeding yamadori

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:03 pm

Nothing. That's what everyone used to advise. Now, many people are more inclined to believe that normal feeding can be started immediately, but I don't feed until a few weeks after potting and new growth has started. I always collect in early spring.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  waway Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:46 pm

Kev, how about rooting hormone do I need to use them? To help send out new roots.

waway

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:57 pm

No, collect as much firous root as you can when digging and make sure that they don't dry out. No hormone is required. Hormone only needs to be used when cuttings etc have no roots, to encourage them to initiate new roots.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

feeding yamadori Empty Fertilizer after collection

Post  gman Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:02 pm

For our Mountain Hemlock and shore pine we've found that collecting in late summer (after the current years flush has hardened off) works really well and gives us a great survival rate. Out of a dozen trees I collected in the summer of 08, I only lost one. I add a slow release fertilizer [good for up to 18months - its the same one we (BC coastal forest industry)- use for our forest seedlings (which are planted in spring and late summer)] and that combined with the Seasoil/perlite mix really works well. Generally you can see the needles change colour from the light green at collection to a deep blue/green before it settles in for the winter.
Also I've collected a few paper birch this spring and they didn't really miss a beat but then again I've read that they are pretty tough and resilient.
Cheers
G
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:02 am

I was wondering about a similar question regarding bone meal as a soil additive for the same reason (that being to promote rooting). Is there any value in that?
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:46 pm

Bone meal is fine. I add bone meal to my pots spring and fall. I also add when I collect something and bare root it (which I almost always do).

Rooting hormone added to ROOTS will actually inhibit the formation of rootlets. It is to be used to force roots out of non-root plant tissue.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  waway Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:51 pm

JimLewis wrote:Bone meal is fine. I add bone meal to my pots spring and fall. I also add when I collect something and bare root it (which I almost always do).

Rooting hormone added to ROOTS will actually inhibit the formation of rootlets. It is to be used to force roots out of non-root plant tissue.

Jim, bone meal is unavailable here. Can I use with something that has high "P"? As what I understand phosphorus helps in the development and strengthening of the roots.

waway

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:52 pm

As far as I know, the answer is "yes."
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down