Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is stratification compulsory for Chinese elm bonsai?

+3
Toshiro
Khaimraj Seepersad
Oogway
7 posters

Go down

Is stratification compulsory for Chinese elm bonsai? Empty Is stratification compulsory for Chinese elm bonsai?

Post  Oogway Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:16 am

I got chinese elm bonsai seeds by online shopping(Genuine seller).
The package i got had instructions showing that
1.first we need to soak the seeds for 24hrs
2.Then place them in a pot,with bonsai soil mix.

Even though i thought of stratifying.. because of the instructions given,i have just planted the seeds in soil in this October with out stratification.
I'm now bit worried about their germination.
How much time should i wait for the seeds to germinate,(In general what is the germination time for chinese elm?)
I live in southern India! daily temperatures here are about 28-33 centigrade.

Please help! Thanks in advance.
Oogway
Oogway

Back to top Go down

Is stratification compulsory for Chinese elm bonsai? Empty Re: Is stratification compulsory for Chinese elm bonsai?

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Hemanth,

ask the seller if he/she had the seed in cold storage and for how long?
Also how long was the harvest time of the seed to when it was sold to you.

Don't you have friends or other who could give you root cuttings or simple cuttings, much faster than seed.

Been growing Chinese elms since 1980, so no fear of needing winter or very cold temperatures, the elm naturally goes dormant from Christmas to late February on my side. Lowest night temperature - 18.9 deg.C [ 66 deg.F ] but held for over 12 hours or so.
Best to you.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Is stratification compulsory for Chinese elm bonsai? Empty Is stratification compulsory for Chinese elm bonsai?

Post  Oogway Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi Khaimraj Seepersad,

I have contacted the seller about cold storage, he says he didn't keep them in cold storage.
No knowledge about the harvest time.

I'm out of luck, i don't have friends having bonsai's. I guess i'm taking a risky step of growing from seeds.

May be i should just wait! Neutral

Thanks
Hemanth
Oogway
Oogway

Back to top Go down

Is stratification compulsory for Chinese elm bonsai? Empty Re: Is stratification compulsory for Chinese elm bonsai?

Post  Toshiro Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:41 pm

I don't believe you need to stratify Chinese Elm. Here is an article about growing them by seed: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-ulmus-parvifolia-seeds-20459.html
Toshiro
Toshiro

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:52 am

Hemanth,

whilst waiting for germination how about some Tamarind work or local trees from around your area. Trinidad though a small island, has given us at least 15 new species to work with.

Additionally, check the archives, around 2010 we had Ravi K and a few other folk from South India, who you could e-mail.
Good Luck.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:41 am

They don't need stratified. Or soaked for that matter. Just shove them in the dirt and stand back.
You say it's been 3 weeks? I would wait a while longer.
I've planted other elm varieties in this fashion also with great success.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Is stratification compulsory for Chinese elm bonsai? Empty Thanks guys

Post  Oogway Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:53 am

Hi guys,

I was successfully able to make Chinese elm Bonsai seeds germinate.
Thanks for your help.
This is my plant after 3 months., Lot more to go.
Is stratification compulsory for Chinese elm bonsai? 20160111

Regards,
Hemanth
Oogway
Oogway

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:15 am

not weanting to bust your bubble.. The leaves look too smooth to be chinese elm to me.
Second opinion?
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Oogway Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:50 pm

Sad Ugrhh..
I think it is Chinese elm only.. As i kept only Chinese elm seeds in that tray..
May be they will come to proper shape when they are old enough..

Anyone who can resolve this?

Regards,
Hemanth
Oogway
Oogway

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelS Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:26 am

Hemanth, I don't think it is a Chinese elm either. It looks like a herbaceous plant of some kind or at least a non hardwood.
MichaelS
MichaelS

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:35 pm

I would not despair, it can take 3 or 4 months, or more for seed to sprout. The longer the seed was dry before planting the slower they will be to start growing.

Shoot a close up of the leaves of what has sprouted so far, maybe we can tell if it is a "weed" or if it is your elm. My eyes can't make out enough detail.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:01 am

Hemanth,

did you try the Tamarind, and how about a Pomegranate [ Anar ] ?
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Oogway Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Hi Leo Schordje,

I guess you are right, I have left all the seeds in the tray itself (I'll keep watering the tray..Hope they will germinate Smile )
btw.. I'll post the pics of my plant soon (I'm almost convinced it is a weed Sad , as i went through pics of Chinese elm leaves).

@Khaimraj
Hi,

I did try Pomegranate,was not successful making them germinate. I have some more seeds i will try them out again Smile

Thanks,
Hemanth
Oogway
Oogway

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:38 am

The American elm seeds I picked off of a tree and planted this spring are all between 18 and 24 inches.
It took less than 2 weeks for them to sprout.
I hate to say it but you may have gotten some bad seeds.
Because that sprout isn't an elm.
Michael S. What is a non hardwood?

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Oogway Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:18 pm

Hello,
Just wanted to confirm this is a weed(Plz check this pic and let me know)..

Is stratification compulsory for Chinese elm bonsai? 20160112

Thanks,
Hemanth
Oogway
Oogway

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelS Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:40 am

Most definitely not a Chinese elm. Could be anything (including a weed)

M.Fary: Sorry I meant non ''woody''
MichaelS
MichaelS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down