Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!!

+5
fiona
Richard S
Hundred21
DougB
chris
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonsai Europa!!!!!!!

Post  Richard S Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:32 pm

Here's three you missed Chris (unless you beat me to it - are your adding photos while I'm typing Cool )

Tony Tickles Yew in a Rock!

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 TT%20rock%20yew

His excellent Hawthorn,

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 TT%20Hawthorn

and Will Badely's (I believe) magnificent Elm complete with exquisite dead wood!

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 WB%20Elm

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks Richard, yes it is Will's

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:44 pm

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4064

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4065

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4066
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:53 pm

and as if that wasn't enough magnificent bonsai, here's some more (artist unfortunately not known).

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Yew

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Hawthorn

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Cedar
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:29 am

Chris, I know that in your first post you said that you would upload the photos and then talk about the show later but you obviously took a lot of photos! So, I hope you don't mind me jumping in and giving my impressions of the show first? Seems daft to start a new thread on the same subject but I do have a few observations I'd like to make.

Firstly I should say that I live a long way from Manchester and I don't like getting out of bed early on any day of the week least of all Sunday. An early start followed by a long boring motorway journey has even less appeal but the promise of 125 top quality bonsai from around Europe, 30 traders, 10 top artists doing demos and a host of other attractions including Suiseki and alpines was enough to persuade me to make the effort.

Well I have to say it was well worth waking up at 5am and the 350 mile round trip.

I actually struggled to find time to fit everything in. Despite paying the extra for access to the demos I only watched a few minutes because at that stage I hadn't even started looking at the display trees, I'd spent the previous 2 hrs looking around the trade stands wishing I had a lot more money and a bigger car (there was some excellent yamadori for sale at pretty reasonable prices and at least a dozen pots/slabs I would have liked) but alas, funds are limited and I needed to leave some cash for the petrol home.

As far as the exhibition it's self was concerned the trees were of exceptional quality. I really don't think there were any duffers at all! No filler, certainly nothing chucked in to make up the numbers. The very professional promotional material for this event promised 125 top quality European bonsai and (although I didn't actually count them) I have no doubt that this is what we got!

The fact that I instantly recognised several of the trees and know that at least some have been exhibited in other top shows such as the Noelanders Trophy says it all really. This was top notch stuff.

The actual display benches were pretty traditional with cream coloured backgrounds and little bamboo sticks dividing the spaces. This may not win any prizes for originality compared to say the recent Artisan Cup in the US or Peter Warrens Natural Flux art gallery exhibition of a couple of years ago but the trees were given plenty of space as were the spectators and for me at least the height of the benches felt right (not too much stooping down required). Which was all good.

However, if the space afforded by the venue was a definite benefit then I'd also have to say that the venue was the cause of my only real criticism of the show.

The Castle Armoury is an impressive building from outside but inside it seemed a little bit shabby. More importantly though it presented two other issues, one fairly minor, the other more significant.

The minor issue was the lack of separation between the display area and the trade stands which inevitably had a bit of a jovial jumble sale feel to them. I know the hall didn't lend its self to easy division of the different areas but it was a bit like going to an art gallery and finding the gift shop in the display area. A bit distracting perhaps or maybe I'm just being fussy? You decide8) .

More significant though was the lighting! It was awful and I know I wasn't the only person to notice this because I actually over heard someone else saying exactly what I was thinking. The whole hall was dull and although some trees faired better than others (simply because they happened to be near an over head light fitting) whole sections of the display were mired in gloom.

I almost feel guilty making these negative observations when so much about the show was excellent but I can't lie. I was stood there looking at some of the most fantastic bonsai I've ever had the privilege to see, beautifully displayed with great care and attention to detail (some of the accents were works of art on their own) and yet at times it felt like I was next to a Sunday Market in an old shed with lighting that would disgrace a lot of warehouses.

Maybe this venue is a lot better in the summer when there's more natural light, it certainly looked a lot lighter in the promo photos on the web site or maybe I need new glasses (quite possible!) but, when the trees themselves are this good it seems a shame not to have lit them better.

Anyway, reading that back it perhaps sounds rather more negative than I intended and I wouldn't want anyone to think I hadn't enjoyed it or thought it wasn't worth the money so I'll restate my case. I got up at 5am, drove a 350 mile round trip, paid a paltry £15 to see some of the most fantastic bonsai in Europe! Well worth the effort.

But if anyone is thinking of using this venue again perhaps spare a though for some kind of supplementary lighting!

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:53 pm

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4067

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4068

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4069

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4071

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4072

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4073
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:59 pm

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4074

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4075

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4076

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4077

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4078

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4079
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4080

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4081
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:32 pm

Here are the pics of Tony's Taxus in a rock

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4082

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4083

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4084
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:12 pm

Richard S wrote: But if anyone is thinking of using this venue again perhaps spare a though for some kind of supplementary lighting!
 I think most visitors to and organisers of the show would agree at least in part with this and I also know that Tony has already picked up on the same comment from several other sources. I am also certain he will act on them for the next time.  The trick, however, is to find the way of better illuminating the displays without adding significantly to the entry prices. I am aware that the lighting at the Artisans' Cup cost a significant amount which Ryan appears to have borne the brunt of personally so the visitors weren't disadvantaged. That is a bold step which could easily backfire.  

To add to the logistical pluses from an exhibitors' perspective, I found the offloading and uplifting processes very easy. The venue is relatively easy to get to (I came through Bury at rush-hour and didn't find it too bad at all) and very central for other networks. From that perspective it was excellent.  

But let's not forget it was about the trees. Stunning. Simply stunning.  I am now partly dismayed at another year when mine don't look quite there because the bar has been yet again raised, and completely inspired to get the finger out and up my own game for next time.

Well done, Tony and all the legion of helpers.

btw I'm seeing your 350 mile round trip and raising it another 100.  LOL Very Happy Wink
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:23 pm

I was most impressed with the close up of signage in picture 5. Thank you so much for doing that in addition to showing the overal display layout.

while I appreciate scrolls with Kanji, the non japanese can not read, causing a loss of some of the story being told. For english speaking audiences, I think

it nicely fullfils that need without overpowering or distracting a presentation. Kudos to the owner who came up with that idea.

I was able to attend the artisan's cup opening nite to see the display in a darkened grotto, so brightly lit, and it was the first time i saw such a presentation and it was quite striking. As an active participant in both koi and Bonsai shows and conventions over the decades, most feel anymore, it lucky to break even on any event , which I think changes the mentality of approaching the event to make it less memorable.Quite the challenge anymore.Still it's a mission to promote one's hobby the best way they can to attract more members and encourage the present ones. Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:17 pm

Well Fiona I certainly wont quarrel with you assessment of the trees. Stunning they most certainly were!

Which ones were yours by the way?

There weren't any poor quality trees on display so despite your self deprecating comments they must have been pretty damn good just to get accepted.

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:46 pm

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4085

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dscf4086
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:08 pm

many many MANY stunning trees and displays...

bravo to all !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  lena.stares Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:23 pm

Laughing smashing images chris thankyou for posting number 60 and 47 were amazing makes me realise how far i got to go

lena.stares

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:35 am

Thanks for the reply Lena, let it be an inspiration
See you Sunday

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Let me also add some of my images, trying to not duplicate... Quite happy I decided to pop over the canal to be there for 4 days!

Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Bonsai10
Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Bonsai11
Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Bonsai12
Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Bonsai13
Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Bonsai14
Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Bonsai14
Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Bonsai16
Bonsai Europa!!!!!!! - Page 2 Bonsai17
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next