Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :)

+4
appalachianOwl
JimLewis
LanceMac10
Dreamcast
8 posters

Go down

From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :) Empty From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :)

Post  Dreamcast Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:26 am

I got a Ficus. Benjamina from a friend earlier this year, he had found it in the trashroom where he lives, it was nothing special really and just a typical neglected and overgrown "multi trunk" Benjamina from a supermarket.

This is how it looked when i got it.
From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :) 11165910
From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :) 11118310
As it had a rather nice start to a nebari and already some growth lower down the trunk i decided to take a chance on it and try to design my first Banyan Tree.

The follow are photos taken over the year.
From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :) 20150510
From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :) 20150612
From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :) 20150610
From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :) 20150611

Here it is couple of days ago, i think its well on its way to become a rather nice Banyan as it matures and develops more branching and air roots to support them.
From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :) 20151021

Smile

Last edited by Dreamcast on Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :) Empty Re: From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :)

Post  Dreamcast Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:17 pm

One more step towards becoming a Banyan. Smile
From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :) 20151022
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :) Empty Re: From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :)

Post  LanceMac10 Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:25 pm

Very interesting presentation.

Looks like it's progressing nicely!

You've done well with it.
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:58 am

Thank you!, LanceMac10

Me being a complete novice when it comes to displaying trees would very much like to hear what you find interesting about it, and any other thought on how to improve would be much appreciated. Smile
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:22 am

If anything, it's a little too centered in the pot.

Assess which one of those three large trunks you could do without and remove.
Their a little too alike and make it look like a bush.
Of course, if that is what you want, don't remove anything! Very Happy
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:52 pm

Now, cut a chopstick or two into several inch (or so) pieces, and use those pieces to brace some or all of those trunks apart, so the grove is leaning away from itself.  Leave it alone for a LONG time or they'll bounce back.  That will give it a more natural look as if each tree is struggling to get to the sun.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:45 pm

Thank you both! very good advice for the next work session, will now let it grow free for a while. Smile
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:43 pm

Very soon after last update i decided to plant the tree into a bigger container (without cutting any roots), since it has grown very well and was becoming to big for the propagator i decided it was time for its first real styling, after defoliation, removal of 9 trunks, some snips hear and there and bending the trunks outwards and this is the result, so far.

There is a lot of work to be done, and the central trunk will have to thicken up considerably, but i think this can become a nice Banyan/Clump Style tree in time. Smile

From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :) 20160210
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:12 am

January 2017 update.

Only used Clip & Grow and guy wires since i started developing this material. Smile

From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :) 20170111
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:57 am

This is a cool progression, thanks for sharing. Do you plan to develop some arial roots in the future? Also whats the scale/size on this one? -Jacob
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:37 pm

Nice work on interesting subject. Do you have plans regarding the very thick above-ground roots in the front?
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:09 pm

appalachianOwl wrote:This is a cool progression, thanks for sharing. Do you plan to develop some arial roots in the future? Also whats the scale/size on this one? -Jacob

Thanks, yes my plan is to let aerial roots form once the branch structure has matured some more, i am aiming for a wide and low Banyan tree. Smile

It stands 30cm from the lip of the pot. Smile
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:12 pm

Precarious wrote:Nice work on interesting subject.  Do you have plans regarding the very thick above-ground roots in the front?

Thank you, i will try to remove almost all thick roots next repot, hopefully that and a more shallow pot will contribute to a better sense of scale for this tree. Smile
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:21 pm

Very cool. Keep us posted.
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:07 pm

appalachianOwl wrote:Very cool. Keep us posted.

Echo that
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:46 pm

Very cool to transform an ugly house plant in such a promising bonsai.

I made a imilar experiment with a Ficus 'Natasha', I already posted about it but haven't worked on it since then, actually. We'll see next spring, I'll make lots of cuttings from the now long shoots and try to start its little brother:

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t14556-31-year-old-ficus-burkei-progression#149652
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:12 am

Long time since i update on this tree.. today i partially defoliated, restructured and repotted this tree.
It surely has come along way since being found as a neglected and rickety houseplant in a trash room 2015, with some more structural work over the coming years, better ramification and aerial roots from the top branches, as well as holding up the long and low branches is should become a rather convincing Banyan and a good bonsai.

Its now potted in a new type of developed and actually patented trainingpot called the 'TIE POT', this pot is genius and i absolutely love it! Very Happy

From Trash Room Benjamina to Banyan Bonsai. :) 20180910
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:59 pm

Great progress. Well done! Cool
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:35 pm

It's coming up nicely...

Wink
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:06 pm

i honestly did not see that one coming...

well done thus far !!!
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:49 pm

I am glad you guys like the progression so far.

It has turned out to be a very fun and rewarding project. Smile
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down