Artesan's Cup

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Artesan's Cup

Post  darky on Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:04 am

There is talk of this show coming to Australia!. Our very strict quarantine laws will be some thing very difficult to deal with. I say this because we do not have the Yamadori that was on show at this exhibition.
We do have quite a few of our natives now, as there are still some areas being cleared for housing and factories. So maybe we can show trees that have less age but still plenty of style.
I have never been a big fan of lots of driftwood, as I see a tree that struggles to survive with such beautiful foliage pads not reflecting the true story of the tree.

This is by the way my opinion only. There are many that disagree with me, and that is their right.

Cheers Darky.

darky

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:31 pm

darky wrote:There is talk of this show coming to Australia!. Our very strict quarantine laws will be some thing very difficult to deal with.

those laws will be a benefit to the show !

no need to import trees for the show when it can instead truly showcase the AUSTRALIAN ARTISANS !!!
of which i am sure there is no shortage... fair dinkum !

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  geo on Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:10 pm

Righto Kevin! It will be very interesting to the rest of our little world. Cudos to 'em, brilliant styling, thrilling deadwood. But I ain't looking at no more Junies for awhile.

George.

geo

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary on Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:31 pm

I wonder how they get the trees to stay in the pots down under?
And will there be a sheep themed display?
Maybe someone has one planted in a kangaroos pouch?
Will Paul Hogan or Mel Gibson be there?
So many questions. So little answers.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:35 pm

And I suspect you have just endeared yourself to a whole host of Australians and New Zealanders.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:59 pm

doooooood... wheres the eye-rolling-laughing-sadly-while-peeing my-pants emoticon when you need one ?

everyone knows they have reverse gravity down there !
which is how the trees stay in, the sheep stay down, the joeys stay put

as for paul and mel...
well they both made their own beds that they need to sleep in... Rolling Eyes

(good thing you posted that while everyone there was sleeping...)

aka beer city snake

kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  geo on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:55 am

Sadly, I don't believe Paul will be there. But I hear that they have hired some reality TV guy to stand around with a boat hook: in case of deadly vipers lurking around the trees, or if Frary shows up. But, really, what can you do against Godzilla with a boat hook?

geo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Leppo on Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:18 am

darky wrote:....
I have never been a big fan of lots of driftwood, as I see a tree that struggles to survive with such beautiful foliage pads not reflecting the true story of the tree.

This is by the way my opinion only. There are many that disagree with me, and that is their right.

Cheers Darky.

I think the problem is the neat foliage pads.  An ancient tree has scraggly branches, etc.  the neat foliage is what you get when you dig up a tree from the mountains and plant it in a pot in your protected yard.

Dave Leppo

Back to top Go down

Post  Roger Snipes on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:14 am

Someone said that the majority of the trees in the Artisans Cup exhibition were big yamadori. Perhaps it seemed so because the big trees are impressive, but I just did a quick count and of the 71 trees on display 41 were non-yamadori and 30 were yamadori. Not all of the yamadori were huge either. There were a number of non-yamadori that were quite large. Actually there were more than 71 trees on display since they counted the shohin entries as one. If you count the shohin individually the number of non-yamadori goes up.

Also, anyone who thinks that producing a show winning tree from yamadori material is as simple as digging it in the wild and stuffing it into a pot really doesn't have a realistic idea of the work it takes to turn a collected tree into a quality bonsai.

Roger

Roger Snipes

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 am

Roger Snipes wrote:..., anyone who thinks that producing a show winning tree from yamadori material is as simple as digging it in the wild and stuffing it into a pot really doesn't have a realistic idea of the work it takes to turn a collected tree into a quality bonsai.

Quite true, Roger. But what blew my mind was yamadori to prize winner in less than 5 years! AMAZING!!

0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  CraftyTanuki on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:29 am

M. Frary wrote:    I wonder how they get the trees to stay in the pots down under?
And will there be a sheep themed display?
 Maybe someone has one planted in a kangaroos pouch?
Will Paul Hogan or Mel Gibson be there?
So many questions. So little answers.

Crikey, fair go m8.
>Wire and boomerangs.
>New Zealand.
>Maybe you will use a cheese burger as a kusamono. Same logic/shots fired.
>No, they are both your problem now.

CraftyTanuki

Back to top Go down

Post  darky on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:11 am

For the information of the uneducated Mel Gibson is a SepticTank he was born in the USA, came to Us when his parents came here.

We do not have a problem with holding our trees in pots as gravity is relative.
Razz Twisted Evil

darky

Back to top Go down

Photos of the Exibition

Post  Dave Leppo on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:18 pm

There's a great web posting up now:
Artisans official site

An observation:  while the lighting seems like it would be very dramatic (and I'm told it was by a judge in attendance), I don't think it photographs well.  To get the form of the actual trees, I prefer Wm. Valavanis's amateur shots.
But I bet seeing trees lit like this in person would be breathtaking. Of course, a photo can never replace experiencing a tree intimately in person.

Dave Leppo

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:23 pm

wire and boomerangs !!!  Razz  Razz  Razz
now THAT was funny !

and wasnt paul a bridge painter or a garbo or something like that before he got "discovered" and ditched his aussie wife and kids to be famous in america, home of the shameless ?

darky, good thing you spelled out septic tank... "seppo" would have slipped right by some...  Wink

Dave Leppo wrote:
darky wrote:....

I think the problem is the neat foliage pads.  An ancient tree has scraggly branches, etc.  the neat foliage is what you get when you dig up a tree from the mountains and plant it in a pot in your protected yard.

of course it doesnt have be that way... people can choose whether or not to over-refine.
and i agree that certain collected species should not be too refined looking as it takes away some of the character of struggle.
(which does not necessarily equal less or lazy work as has been suggested...)

Last edited by beer city snake on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

aka beer city snake

kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  Roger Snipes on Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:05 pm

Quite true, Roger. But what blew my mind was yamadori to prize winner in less than 5 years! AMAZING!![/quote]

That is an amazingly quick progression alright. Ryan learned well from Kimura how to move a tree quickly to show condition. Not all yamadori will be able to be brought along that quickly of course.

Roger

Roger Snipes

Back to top Go down

Post  steveb on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:48 pm

Cheeseburger as a kusamono - that is hilarious.  I can't stop laughing.

steveb

Back to top Go down

Post  CraftyTanuki on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:16 am

steveb wrote:Cheeseburger as a kusamono - that is hilarious.  I can't stop laughing.

Apparently there's some ironic humour to this throwaway comment, via Bonsainut/artisan's cup thread:

0soyoung, post: 289877, member: 12845 wrote:If anything in bonsai that is purely 'American', it is what Nick Lenz and Mr. Crust have been doing. Then, there is a hamburger in lieu of a kusa - is there anything more representative of American culture? Cultures borrow ideas from one another and recast them into their own expressions. You're an artist, why is it so tough for you to understand? I'd have thought this to be right up your alley.

I dont even know whats real anymore hahaha

Is this true, does anyone have any pics?!?!

CraftyTanuki

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:33 am

That's a great picture of Steve Irwin and a wombat.
You guys from down under know I was only poking fun right?
I wouldn't use a cheeseburger as an accent piece ever.
Sad waste of a perfectly good cheeseburger if you ask me. Just letting it sit out like that.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  CraftyTanuki on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:16 pm

We know Laughing Laughing Laughing

CraftyTanuki

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:33 pm

But there are so many opportunities to display plastic food as Kusamono:  https://www.google.com/search?q=Japanese+food+models&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIsNHZldewyAIVw3A-Ch1kWQ3_&biw=1280&bih=582&dpr=1.25

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:29 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum