branch die back

View previous topic View next topic Go down

branch die back

Post  Ron on Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:15 pm

I recently bought my first Japanese maple. I want to start with some small branch pruning before the fall season starts. I do not know much about them. I was wondering if I need to worry about branch die back and how much maintenance I can due before the growing season ends? Texas Zone 8. What are the best books on this species?

Ron

Back to top Go down

Re: branch die back

Post  JimLewis on Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:23 pm

Peter Adams "Bonsai with Japanese Maples." Maples are workable most all the year in zone 8.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:05 pm

Hey Ron....

Make sure to give it a little shade when the sun is at it's hottest and a little wind protection wouldn't hurt!!
Watch your watering, not too dry but don't overwater. The leaves can dessicate quickly.
It might be the sweet spot down there for a light to medium pruning as maples will heal a little quicker during an active growing period as the cut edges will begin to callous over. Make clean wounds. ( I use cutpaste afterwards).

Good Luck!!! Very Happy

LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Branch Die Back

Post  Ron on Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:02 pm

Do I need to be concerned about branch die back?

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:25 pm

If your concerned, stick to the smaller stuff. Allow some space for die back above a latent bud.

LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:17 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum