Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar)

+7
Precarious
Zach Smith
steveb
Tom Simonyi
Toshiro
Marty Weiser
JimLewis
11 posters

Go down

Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar) Empty Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar)

Post  JimLewis Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:04 pm

Dug this one from my yard back in 2012. In training pot in '13. First wiring followed. In this pot (final??) in January, been tweaking (and will still be doing so) this spring and summer.

Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar) Uprigh10

Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar) 8-15_b10

Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar) 8-15_c10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar) Empty Re: Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar)

Post  Marty Weiser Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:08 pm

Far too much foliage for my taste!

Actually I like it a lot and it is good to see how fast a very nice bonsai can be developed from what initially appears to be unremarkable material. Had you done any root pruning on it while it was in the ground?

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar) Empty Re: Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar)

Post  Toshiro Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:51 pm

HI Jim, How many times did you reduce the foliage to get it to how it is now (how long did it take)?
Toshiro
Toshiro

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks Marty.

Toshiro . . . I cut around it (no trenching) with a very sharp shovel in 2011, dug it the next year (2012) and removed every other branch, working up from the bottom (no intermediate pics -- sorry), leaving stubs. Once it was potted, I pulled off most of the foliage (and this being a red cedar it was very prickly) chose branches a bit more carefully. I cut lower branches off at trunk (except for the one that now is a jin in the front (was in the back at that time).  Started wiring. In 2013 I stripped the top, plucked more foliage and rewired.  I created the long dead branch in 2014.  Started wishing I'd left more foliage in closer to the trunk, but what was done was done.  Pulled branches down more.  This year has seen no major wiring (only 2 branches wired now).  "Finished" work on the deadwood.

Any comments on the pot?  I kinda like it, but repotting is quite difficult, and I don't handle difficulty very well any more.  It shouldn't need it for a couple more years.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:06 am

Jim...I would not change anything....I really like this composition. Well done.....

Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  steveb Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:59 am

I wouldn't change anything either. It reminds me of the one at the North Carolina Arboretum but I like yours better.

Thanks for sharing
Steve
steveb
steveb

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:53 pm

steveb wrote:I wouldn't change anything either.  It reminds me of the one at the North Carolina Arboretum but I like yours better.  

Thanks for sharing
Steve

Goodness!  That tree is one of my favorites, so I wouldn't go quite that far, but thanks! Besides, mine is less than 2 feet tall, so it's hard to compare.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:31 pm

JimLewis wrote:Dug this one from my yard back in 2012.  In training pot in '13.  First wiring followed.  In this pot (final??) in January, been tweaking (and will still be doing so) this spring and summer.

Very nice work on a less than great species, Jim. Have you considered a shallow rectangle to pot it in?

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:52 pm

Gives me hope for the one I dug up this year.  You mentioned repot difficulty- b/c of the curved wall of the pot, or something about this species, or...?
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:20 pm

The pot.  These guys can take a beating.

I think it needs a round pot because of its literati-ish feel. I actually like this pot. It's by a potter in Maine, if I recall.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:18 pm

Jim,

I will use a quote that I heard from bonsai artist Guy Guidry who was telling me about training with John Naka.

Mr. Naka said "you make old man trees..."

Lovely "old man" tree. Like the container also.

Best,

Ray

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:28 pm

Many thanks all for the kind words about my little old man.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:01 pm

Jim, I think the pot is wrong for the tree. I think it needs something less uniformly finished. Perhaps a "rustic" drum? I think this would better match the old beaten look of the tree.

Cheers

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:15 am

Thanks, Andrew. Something to think bout. It make sense. Now if I only had one.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Toshiro Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:19 pm

Thank you Jim, that is invaluable information. Great tree, truly.
Toshiro
Toshiro

Back to top Go down

Post  Wilson L Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:38 pm

Great tree! I love eastern red cedars, as you put it they are tough as nails!
Wilson L
Wilson L

Back to top Go down

Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar) Empty Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar)

Post  geo Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Yes,Mr. Lewis,I think what you have created with the Juniperus is very fine indeed,BTW I am very fond of the pot.Best wishes from one who can no longer have conifers.
geo
geo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down