Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golden Elm

+6
M. Frary
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Zach Smith
Precarious
geo
MichaelS
10 posters

Go down

Golden Elm Empty Golden Elm

Post  MichaelS Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:24 am

Golden Elm (Ulmus glabra lutescense)
This tree was started from a cutting about 20 years ago.
(Australia has a very poor selection of good material to work with - no imports and very few yamadori)
so we are usually forced to grow our own)
The blank space in the crown was taken up by a branch which died back completely however I am hopeful that a bud at its base will grow this year.
Golden Elm 001
MichaelS
MichaelS

Back to top Go down

Golden Elm Empty Golden Elm

Post  geo Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:16 am

I think that many folks at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/ would strongly disagree with you.From what I see in that forum there is a whole movement towards collecting and growing Australian trees.Please check it out.BTW,I love the tree.I didn't see it with the now dead branch.But are you sure you should be missing it so much?
geo
geo

Back to top Go down

Golden Elm Empty Re: Golden Elm

Post  Precarious Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:56 am

I think the gap left behind is a good thing for the look of the tree.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:08 am

Precarious wrote:I think the gap left behind is a good thing for the look of the tree.
Agree with this sentiment. Too much symmetry is not so good.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:34 pm

you can stick my opinion in the same column vis a vis the missing branch
(or you can tell me to stick it where the sun don't shine Razz )
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelS Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:39 am

geo wrote:I think that many folks at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/ would strongly disagree with you.From what I see in that forum there is a whole movement towards collecting and growing Australian trees.Please check it out.BTW,I love the tree.I didn't see it with the now dead branch.But are you sure you should be missing it so much?

Hi geo, Yeah I'm on that forum as well. There is a lot of talk about collecting but not much going on. Australian trees are notoriously difficult to dig up and transplant. (there are some exeptions) Also along with the fact that even talk of removing anything from the wild will attract unwanted attention, people are very hesitant.
Onr good thing is that most of our natives grow like rockets so developing from seed and cutting is a viable option. I'm in the process of growing some Leptospermum leavigatum from seed. They should make really nice material.
http://travelwithterryla.blogspot.com.au/2008/11/palisades-park-santa-monica.html
MichaelS
MichaelS

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:36 pm

beer city snake wrote:you can stick my opinion in the same column vis a vis the missing branch
(or you can tell me to stick it where the sun don't shine Razz )
That hurts every time. Ouch!

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  geo Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:50 pm

Hello MichaelS:
Funny you should say that.Southern Baja is loaded with potential great stuff as well.But,and it is a big but,desert scrub environment guarantees deep stringy tap roots.So,I am basically on the same ship.The climate is great for tropicals.I just germinated 25 Tamarinds.Excited about that.Yes, things grow astoundingly fast here too.I am a transplanted Canadian.There is absolutely no comparison between what I did with trees in Canada and what I can do here. Cheers.

Last edited by geo on Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
geo
geo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:24 am

MichaelS wrote:Golden Elm (Ulmus glabra lutescense)

Golden Elm 001

Sjoe, this is also a very nice combination. The contemporary blue pot is doing wonders for the tree me thinks. And your tree is absolutely grea

I think you guys in Australia have the most wonderful selection of Indigenous trees for bonsai, and if I lived there I would do nothing else than Indigenous, all your Bottle brushes and Melaleucas and Acacias.....and Eucalyptus ...ufff now my mouth shes watering...

Has anyone a Australian Baobab bonsai that you know of? I think Adansonia gregorii will grow much quicker and respond better than its Madagascar and African Baobab cousins..

Love and Light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelS Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:32 am

[quote="Andre Beaurain"]

I think you guys in Australia have the most wonderful  selection of Indigenous trees for bonsai, and if I lived there I would do nothing else than Indigenous,  all your Bottle brushes and Melaleucas and Acacias.....and Eucalyptus  ...ufff now my mouth shes watering...

Has anyone a Australian Baobab bonsai that you know of?  I think Adansonia gregorii will grow much quicker and respond better  than its Madagascar and African  Baobab cousins..

Hi Andre, many Australian tree are short lived (fast growing) especially Acacia. Melaleuca is very good as are some of the bottle brushes (the ones with short flowers) Eucalyptus - difficult and still in the experimental stage.
The Baobab has leaves way to big and is rather gortesque for a bonsai (but that's just my taste)
I am working on quite a few natives and I will post some pics as they start to develop.

MichaelS
MichaelS

Back to top Go down

Golden Elm Empty update

Post  MichaelS Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:44 pm

After a brutally dry and hot summer. (Still hot!)
Any way it's showing a few signs of being tired and needing a good sleep but the burned leaf tips kind of make it look real I think. Defoliated twice this year..

Golden Elm 005

From lower down:

Golden Elm 006

From higher up:

Golden Elm 007

Small ''trunk'' Bark starting to crack. Smile

Golden Elm 009

Roots:

Golden Elm 010
MichaelS
MichaelS

Back to top Go down

Post  geo Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:49 am

Very fine.I have liked it since you first posted it.I also think the loss of that crown branch was a good thing.Hope it has a great dormancy!Love the pot too.
geo
geo

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:40 pm

yeah... in leaf, the small opening left by the missing branch is visually appealing...
i think the crown would almost look too full if that area was filled in.

(are we now flogging a dead branch ? Wink )

at any rate, it is a dynamite tree.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Nice tree. You have done well with it. Very pleasing image. Smile
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Very nice Mike, very nice indeed. Excellent in fact.

By the way, would that be a variety of Wych Elm do you know? I think Glabra is what we call Wych Elm here in the UK but there are so many varieties that pop up as bonsai it's hard to follow. Obviously it makes no difference in the sense that whatever it is, it's obviously working for you in your climate but I'm trying to increase my knowledge of Elm varieties. Not least because I have several and I'm not really sure what some of them are.

Regards

Richard

Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:26 pm

Its a nice Elm, sky blue pot works well with the colour of the foliage too.
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelS Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:36 pm

Richard S wrote:Very nice Mike, very nice indeed. Excellent in fact.

By the way, would that be a variety of Wych Elm do you know? I think Glabra is what we call Wych Elm here in the UK but there are so many varieties that pop up as bonsai it's hard to follow. Obviously it makes no difference in the sense that whatever it is, it's obviously working for you in your climate but I'm trying to increase my knowledge of Elm varieties. Not least because I have several and I'm not really sure what some of them are.

Regards

Richard

Yes apparently it is a variety of the Wych Elm Richard. You're in the UK right? You probably know more than I do. I know this one does not have the ''wings'' on the branchlets like some do.
As an interesting side note, Golden ems were widely planted here some decades ago. Now there are some massive ones huge rounded crowns. Apparently after seeing one of the bigger ones, a Japanese crew came out here to film a commercial with a Japanese girl on a swing under the tree.  It just HAD to be that tree!
MichaelS
MichaelS

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks Mike, the whole Elm classification business confuses me. Over here we appear to have English Elms, Scotch Elms, Field Elms, Wych Elms, Smooth Leaf Elms and others (Huntingdon Elm for example) but for all I know these might be different names for the same tree.

The scientific names don't seem to help much either (English Elm is frequently referred to as Ulmus Minor, Ulmus Minor Minor or Ulmus Procera). I guess it doesn't really matter, all seem suitable for bonsai and judging by your beautiful example Ulmus Glabra can be added to the list.

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down