ficus kimmen - leaning towards sun (how to avoid it?) + other suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ficus kimmen - leaning towards sun (how to avoid it?) + other suggestions

Post  peet29 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:59 pm

Hello,
I am growing ficus kimmen in my office ( I have it several months ). It is very bright office, the bonsai have direct sunlight several hours in afternoons. However after short time ficus started to lean towards sun. I believe that it is natural for all plants, but I guess that it is not very suitable for bonsai. I understand that it is very basic question but I wasn't able to find answer.

I welcome any advices not only about this issue but concerning my bonsai in general. Currently, I let it grow "quite wildly" I do not trim it much.....basically, It has nice shape and I am still thinikng and researching what to do ...

peet29

Back to top Go down

Re: ficus kimmen - leaning towards sun (how to avoid it?) + other suggestions

Post  JimLewis on Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Turn the pot every few days, so the sun hits at different angle. You should remove about 1/3 of those branches, making space between them.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  peet29 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:22 pm

Thank you. This is probably the best solution, i did it few times, but wasnt sure whether it is ok to do so.
Regarding the second part of your comment. I see thst it is quite "ovewcrowded" but i was afraid to cut branches. I used to cut leaves but they grew quite quickly.

peet29

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:02 pm

If your scissors are sharp, cutting the branches will make your tree happier in the long run.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  peet29 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:10 am

OK, thank you for help!

peet29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:14 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top