FUNGUS: Joy or Pain?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FUNGUS: Joy or Pain?

Post  Guest on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:58 pm

I've been growing a Cypress bonsai for some years now. It's a slow-grower but it looks rather nice. However, this year I see some dark brown  fungus on the soil. Should I be amused or horrified?


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FUNGUS: Joy or Pain?

Post  leatherback on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:49 pm

I for one, normally am amused. It is very normal for fungi to grow in your soil. They assist roots. If you have no odd behaviour of the plant, I would not worry.

leatherback
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: FUNGUS: Joy or Pain?

Post  JimLewis on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:17 pm

I'd only caution you against keeping your tree too wet.

_________________
Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: FUNGUS: Joy or Pain?

Post  Guest on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:08 am

leatherback wrote:I for one, normally am amused. It is very normal for fungi to grow in your soil. They assist roots. If you have no odd behaviour of the plant, I would not worry.
Thank you, leatherback. I only noticed the condition 2 days ago and (so far) I've observed no ill-effects. It's very interesting to find out it can assist roots. I didn't know that.

JimLewis wrote:I'd only caution you against keeping your tree too wet.
Thank you Jim. Yes, I understand. I've been growing this Cypress as bonsai for several years now and this is the first time fungus has developed. But it's no surprise as I recently read that the cypress loves LOTS of water during the growing season. We've had some uncharacteristically hot days the last week or 2 and I've been extra liberal with the watering jug.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FUNGUS: Joy or Pain?

Post  leatherback on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:42 am

F-EW wrote:
Thank you, leatherback. I only noticed the condition 2 days ago and (so far) I've observed no ill-effects. It's very interesting to find out it can assist roots. I didn't know that.

Have a look at http://www.colinlewisbonsai.com/Reading/mycorrhiza.html

Jelle.

leatherback
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: FUNGUS: Joy or Pain?

Post  Guest on Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:50 am

leatherback wrote:
F-EW wrote:
Thank you, leatherback. I only noticed the condition 2 days ago and (so far) I've observed no ill-effects. It's very interesting to find out it can assist roots. I didn't know that.

Have a look at http://www.colinlewisbonsai.com/Reading/mycorrhiza.html

Jelle.

Thank you, leatherback. I've read through and it appears that all three : Ectomycorrhizae - Endomycorrhizae – and Ectendomycorrhizae are directly related to and attached to the roots. The conclusion then is that the sort of surface-soil fungus on my plant are signs of over moisture of the soil and most likely not beneficial to the plant. I think that I'd better allow the soil to dry well and take it from there. Perhaps increasing the grit mixture at the next re-potting.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FUNGUS: Joy or Pain?

Post  leatherback on Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:19 am

What do you mean with surface-soil fungus? The mushroom is the reproductive part of the fungus that lives in the soil. Mycchoriza actually fill the whole rootball.

leatherback
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: FUNGUS: Joy or Pain?

Post  Guest on Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:30 am

leatherback wrote:What do you mean with surface-soil fungus? The mushroom is the reproductive part of the fungus that lives in the soil. Mycchoriza actually fill the whole rootball.
I'm merely going by the description of Ectomycorrhizae, Endomycorrhizae and Ectendomycorrhizae as I understand (or misunderstand) it.
EDIT: I understand much better now. Thank you!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FUNGUS: Joy or Pain?

Post  Toshiro on Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:53 pm

On a different note, I love the macro shot. I get a sense of a temperate rainforest. Kudos

Toshiro
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: FUNGUS: Joy or Pain?

Post  Guest on Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:47 am

Toshiro wrote:On a different note, I love the macro shot. I get a sense of a temperate rainforest.  Kudos

Smile Smile Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FUNGUS: Joy or Pain?

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:26 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum