Vine maple

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vine maple

Post  JWT on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:01 pm

Vine maple (Acer circinatum) I purchased last summer. Garden center stock, came with a pallet Shocked :

I chopped it late in the Autumn (and was horrified):

Now:

It is in a cold frame and growing in the ground. I dont think I need to do anything for the nebari Very Happy. Dont know yet what is there though.

I have two options.

One, let it grow this year, so that those wounds would start healing. In the Autumn cut back to fit the cold frame. Next Spring cut top branches very short, leave bottom branches as they are. Hopefully get new branches.

Two, start make branches right now. This would mean shortening top branches to make lower ones stronger and hoping to get new ones pop up lower the trunk.

Opinions?

JWT

Back to top Go down

Re: Vine maple

Post  Tentakelaertje on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:24 pm

So option one will leave you with the wounds healed quicker and perhaps better, while option two will leave you with a better branch structure, right?

To add my cent, wounds will heal, but a shitty branch structure will cost the tree years. So I'd rather go with option two, as that appears to be a shortcut to success.
Can I ask why you were horrified?

Regards, Maarten

Note: I'm still new, so my knowledge is limited. Please correct me if I'm wrong Smile

Tentakelaertje

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:19 pm

Why not a third option? Set the base of the branches in the desired positions now and let them grow wild. Cut back in the fall one node beyond the correct cut back and then cut back to the proper node in the spring? If the bottom branches really need to thicken you can leave them longer. As I see it, even the top branches will need to thicken a fair bit.

I would see about repotting next year to start working on the nebari. I have found it generally takes longer to create a good nebari than good basic branch structure since you can only work on the roots every 2 or 3 years.

Marty

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  JWT on Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:33 am

Thank you for commenting.

Maarten, horrified because I consider this very good material, and I chopped it rather hard.

Marty, perhaps its not visible in the pictures, but root flare is there already, thats why I thought basic nebari work is done for me. I hope Smile.

Top branches seem to grow like 5 times faster. Lower ones are in shade.

JWT

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:37 pm

I agree the basic flare is there which is great. However, I have found that what takes time with nursery stock is to develop the secondary roots and then bring the fine roots in so that it fits well in a nice shallow pot. In many cases, the fairly hard root chops necessary to do this will set the top of the tree back for a year - I prefer to do this while developing the top rather than after the top is fully developed since a top set back on well ramified tree can mean loss of key branches.

Regarding light for the lower branches. Can you pull away the cold frame sides to allow more light? Can you remove the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc pair of leaves as appropriate on the upper branches to allow more light? My understanding is that for most maples the growing tips drive branch thickening (and therefore wound healing) more than the side branches and leaves on a sacrifice branch. Yes, allowing both the tip and the sides will give more total growth, but removing the middle leaves will give a lot of the growth and provide light below.

Marty

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  JWT on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:37 pm

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

Yes I have thought of making south facing wall removable. Bottom of the frame does not get too much light.

I will remove leaves close to the trunk for upper branches.

Thank you very much, Marty, for your insight.

Jan

JWT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:36 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum