Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are we Ready for tagging trees 'Important Bonsai Masterpiece'?

+4
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
M. Frary
DougB
cosmos
8 posters

Go down

Are we Ready for tagging trees 'Important Bonsai Masterpiece'? Empty Are we Ready for tagging trees 'Important Bonsai Masterpiece'?

Post  cosmos Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:12 pm

Important Bonsai Masterpiece

Sometimes when looking at awesome Japanese trees one sees a tag hanging from a branch. The tag designates that the tree is an 'Important Bonsai masterpiece'. Thus the tree is not judged.

After a tree is designated Kichou Bonsai, a handmade plaque is also given and this can be displayed with the tree and a metal tag which is hung from a branch (during an exhibition).

It is my humble opinion that in Europe and other continents we should start doing this also because other good trees will not stand a chance of winning when such trees are made to compete. A tree in mind (and I think I will be honoring the tree and its owner by mentioning it) is the taxus of Stefano Frisoni from Italy.

Do you know of other trees that could and maybe should be designated Kichou Bonsai - if we are ready to do it.

cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Are we Ready for tagging trees 'Important Bonsai Masterpiece'? Empty Re: Are we Ready for tagging trees 'Important Bonsai Masterpiece'?

Post  DougB Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:24 pm

Yes several at the National Arboretum in DC, beginning with Goshen.
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Are we Ready for tagging trees 'Important Bonsai Masterpiece'? Empty Re: Are we Ready for tagging trees 'Important Bonsai Masterpiece'?

Post  M. Frary Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:29 pm

I'll look at my benches when I get home. I'll let yiu know.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:37 pm

M. Frary wrote:   I'll look at my benches when I get home. I'll let yiu know.

atta-boy !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:20 am

Nope. None yet. lol!

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  MKBonsai Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:01 pm

I'm sure there are trees that qualify so this should be done.

In the meantime, I've got a few that could do with a label of "Bonsai Firewood" at the moment, but I live in hope that time will allow me to remove this description.........

JT
MKBonsai
MKBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:34 pm

I wonder how much "true age" factors into the Japanese definition of 'masterpiece." Are (as a silly example) Kimura's trees automatically labeled as such, or do they have to have been great bonsai for a hundred years, or so?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:23 pm

I think that the trees to merit this title are bonsai of the finest quality; trees with much mochicomi i.e. continuous work input to improve and refine the tree year after year, culminating it to stand out above most other bonsai trees. In Japan it has been done for these last 35 years only, so not long time ago.
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:25 pm

DougB wrote:Yes several at the National Arboretum in DC, beginning with Goshen.

I totally agree.
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:28 pm

M. Frary wrote:   I'll look at my benches when I get home. I'll let yiu know.

I do not have to look. I know I don't have such trees but what I have give me pleasure for most of them I have grown them from seeds or cuttings or airlayerings. In Malta we do not have the luxury of finding awesome yamadori material.
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Japan it has been done for these last 35 years only, so not long time ago.

I understand that, but that doesn't really answer my question.  I'd wager that the trees that qualify have been worked on for much longer.

Thirty five years is a very long time for a western bonsai, but not so much for the finer trees in Japan, I suspect.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:34 pm

JimLewis wrote:
Japan it has been done for these last 35 years only, so not long time ago.

I understand that, but that doesn't really answer my question.  I'd wager that the trees that qualify have been worked on for much longer.

Thirty five years is a very long time for a western bonsai, but not so much for the finer trees in Japan, I suspect.

I'm with Jim. Japan has been growing bonsai for about 1300 years and they just started naming important bonsai 35 years ago. So in 3280 we can start naming them important bonsai masterpiece.

All kidding aside I would love to know what makes an important bonsai masterpiece special. Something I'm striving for. We should call them "Bonsai që janë shumë të rëndësishme". To me that means more than Kichou Smile
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:42 pm

[quote="Sam Ogranaja"][quote="JimLewis"]
So in 3280 we can start naming them important bonsai masterpiece.

whew... thats good... now i have some more time.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:12 am

Getting there! I think somebody ought to call somebody to get somebody over here next week! And to think I just dug this out of my backyard 3 years ago!
I would like to thank my wife for all of her support.
I would like to thank the judges for choosing the right tree.
As last but not least I need to thank myself.
I couldn't have done it without me.
I'm sorry. I can't help it. For some reason this question tickles me.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:17 am

beer city snake wrote:
Sam Ogranaja wrote:
JimLewis wrote:
So in 3280 we can start naming them important bonsai masterpiece.

whew... thats good... now i have some more time.

With love. That's just because you need more time Kev. Ahahhahahhahahhahahhahahahahahahhahah

The devil inside made me do it Smile

Happy 4th brother!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:22 pm

indeed i do need time...

we all have a devil Twisted Evil on one shoulder and an angel Beaurangel on the other

and happy 4th to you too sam !

hope to meet you in person this october if you are at the expo...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:09 pm

beer city snake wrote:indeed i do need time...

we all have a devil Twisted Evil on one shoulder and an angel Beaurangel on the other

and happy 4th to you too sam !

hope to meet you in person this october if you are at the expo...

Oh I'll be there. I missed last year and no way in hell am I missing this year again. Friday night is my favorite thing there.
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:45 pm

john g asked us for help with his club's display on thursday night...
and so maybe we can weasel our way into the friday night reception... Razz
but we will be there from wed nite through tues... sunday nite campfire getogether at our campground
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:54 pm

The designation should come after rigorous milestones have been met, lest it become a meaningless title.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:08 pm

That's IF we even need such a designation. The trees certainly don't care, and I'm totally unconcerned with feeding someone's ego.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:20 pm

JimLewis wrote:That's IF we even need such a designation.

i second that.

i have however, given a name to a couple of my "special" trees...

but common names, like mikel and elmer.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:11 pm

beer city snake wrote:
JimLewis wrote:That's IF we even need such a designation.

i second that.

i have however, given a name to a couple of my "special" trees...

but common names, like mikel and elmer.

I expect a Sam in there somewhere. Something like "This tree here is named Sam, a Diamond Geezer" LOL
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:32 pm

Sam Ogranaja wrote:"This tree here is named Sam, a Diamond Geezer" LOL
ThumbsUp
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:47 pm

JimLewis wrote:That's IF we even need such a designation.  The trees certainly don't care, and I'm totally unconcerned with feeding someone's ego.

Ah yes, ego, hungriest animal on seven continents. I was thinking more in terms of identifying archetypes of a style, or one of combining all elements in balance, but perhaps that only serves to narrow artistic vision...
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down