[2015-] A nice gift: Pink Azalea

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[2015-] A nice gift: Pink Azalea

Post  akhater on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:16 pm

I arrived home today to find this gift from a very thoughtful friend of mine, A small pink azalea with, what I find to be, a not bad trunk.

I have no idea what kind of Azalea it is (If anyone has any idea) ?

I would like to use the trunk to have a nice shohin or mame, and I'd be grateful if you could all help me on what to do with it.

I think the first step would be to clean the moss from the trunk or am I mistaken ? Should I use any vinegar or anything for that ?

Opinion / styling advises and suggestions are highly appreciated

thanks

Global view

Trunk close up 4 sides

Close up on the flower

akhater

Back to top Go down

Re: [2015-] A nice gift: Pink Azalea

Post  akhater on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:29 pm

doesn't inspire anyone ?

akhater

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:49 pm

I have one like that. It was a gift someone mistakenly gave to a neighbor that 'hates gardening, hates little pots'. My neighbor gave it to me rather than throwing it into the trash. So, I have no idea what satsuki cultivar it is.

I love azaleas. I have dozens of them, in the ground and in pots. I have both deciduous and evergreen types. I have at least one azalea blooming from late February to the end of June.

Yours is nice. I understand your pride and the joy this little plant brings to you. Get more. Smile

0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:54 pm

Looks nice, but I'd immediately get rid of the moss on the trunk. Azalea bark damages VERY easily; no other bark like it.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser on Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:11 am

Most of the trunk looks like it is partially fused roots that were grown in a tube. I think the true trunks start above that as branches. Regardless, it is a good start on a trunk. no real ideas on styling, but if you don't just want a congested broom above the cylinder you will need to start pruning out some of the branches leaving the heaviest, most interesting ones. I agree with Jim about removing the moss - it might yield more of an exposed root base.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:08 am

Dear Akhater

I like you little new plant....a japanese satzuki, pronounced ...satski.

Why use vinegar on such a small plant, it can only hurt...use a small wooden stik and a pincet...always try to avoid cemicals of any kind if possible.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:59 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum