Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mahogany stand for a Rocky Mountain Juniper

4 posters

Go down

Mahogany stand for a Rocky Mountain Juniper Empty Mahogany stand for a Rocky Mountain Juniper

Post  charlesaustinh Sun May 24, 2015 2:00 am

Just wrapped up this stand, here it is paired with the tree it was designed for. The idea was not to mimic the movement of the tree in the stand, so I used the soft rectangular outside with the curved inside, which gives the whole piece a sense of expansion and energy similar to that of the feminine dancing tree on top, but in a different way. Love to hear any comments. Thanks

Austin

Mahogany stand for a Rocky Mountain Juniper Howard11

charlesaustinh

Back to top Go down

Mahogany stand for a Rocky Mountain Juniper Empty Re: Mahogany stand for a Rocky Mountain Juniper

Post  JimLewis Sun May 24, 2015 1:27 pm

Beautiful stand, but looks a bit light for such a bulky tree?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Mahogany stand for a Rocky Mountain Juniper Empty Re: Mahogany stand for a Rocky Mountain Juniper

Post  charlesaustinh Wed May 27, 2015 6:21 am

Thanks for the response Jim. Funny, the chief concern before we started construction was that it would be too bulky for such a light tree- perhaps the size in the photo is deceiving. The tree is easily under 2', probably just at two feet when it is on the stand, trunk diameter at the base may be 3". We were playing to its feminine qualities and the delicacy of the branching. Maybe it is just too light, I think in Bonsai if I had to error I would prefer to error on the side of light rather than bulky.

charlesaustinh

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:46 pm

It is a fine table for bonsai or suiseki display, Austin.   Perhaps, you can post its length, depth & height.   I immediately imagined it for displaying suiseki of modest mass & weight or a tree of light mass.  

It appears the bottom edge has a decorative molding touching the display surface without any supporting feet at each corner.  Arguably, low unobstrusive feet the width equal to the rising leg above them could modestly elevate reception of the image.  Perhaps, not...  No doubt you and the owner considered the option.  

Were you the designer as well as the craftsman?  Was there a specific piece of furniture (or specific style-- e.g. art deco) that influenced the design?

It is a pleasure to see your milled lumber pieces in addition to work introducing naturally contoured wood.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:23 pm

I think the stand compliments the tree very well. I struggle a little bit with the pot's wide lip and extravagent feet. I'd feel it more in tune with the tree to see a simple
oval with no lip and minimal feet. Appreciate you sharing Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  charlesaustinh Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:06 am

Chris-
The stand is 13" wide, 9" deep and 8" tall- rather a small stand. I was thinking of the decorative molding on the bottom as the feet, I wanted to contain most of the movement on the interior circle and contrast that with a strait outside edge, on all sides, to try and create the expanding feel. The lip on the top achieves a little bit of the lift you were talking about in the feet, I think. Thanks for the comment.

charlesaustinh

Back to top Go down

Post  charlesaustinh Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:07 am

Also thank you Dick for the very nice comment- I see you are Washington will you be attending the Artisans cup, I'll be vending there you should stop by and say hi.

Austin

charlesaustinh

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:52 pm

Hi Austin... I see what you mean re' the perimeter molding at the stand's foot serving as a foot, not unlike the ring or perimeter rim under most ceramics.  I applaud your out-of-the-box conception, which is both functional & modest-- encouraging the viewer to see the object held before focusing on the stand.   

I first thought of buddhist platforms-- stands for sitting in meditation-- when noting the rounded-end, negative space under table-top.  Wang Shixiang describes these platforms in Classic Chinese Furniture as one of two major influences (the other involves post & beam architecture for tables with waists) seen in classical, elegant Chinese design.   Of course, yours goes much further in design consideration.  That is why I asked re' its inspiration.

Did you also raise the fielded panel face slightly higher than the rails on the table/stand top?

Thanks for sharing your creation & design thoughts.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  charlesaustinh Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:10 am

Chris,

Yes the frame window is raised about 1/4"- kind of came out of the raised panels you see in some cabinet doors, I feel it gives the tree a little more significance/ preciousness- like a pedestal would a sculpture over one on a shelf or mantle.

Austin

charlesaustinh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down