Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Torulosa Juniper

+25
Gary Swiech
Jkd2572
milehigh_7
Poink88
Dwight
Todd Ellis
Brian Van Fleet
LELE
Sakaki
marcus watts
Smithy
greerhw
bonsaistud
Russell Coker
mehrdadchavosh
Nik Rozman
Rob Kempinski
sixhunter
Pavel Slovák
fiona
Ed Trout
EdMerc
anttal63
alex e
dorothy7774
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Torulosa Juniper - Page 3 Empty Re: Torulosa Juniper

Post  Poink88 Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:04 pm

THANKS a lot Dorothy!!! cheers cheers cheers

BTW, I posted pictures of my new tree on my thread as requested. Smile
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:43 am

Hey Dorothy great job on the Hollywood. I've had problems with juvenile foliage when I've cut back hard. That's why I mostly gave up on them. You don't seem to have that problem-what's the secret?
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:11 pm

Bob Pressler wrote:Hey Dorothy great job on the Hollywood. I've had problems with juvenile foliage when I've cut back hard. That's why I mostly gave up on them. You don't seem to have that problem-what's the secret?

Hi Bob,
you trim the centers first (during the growing phases). Then you come back and conservatively trim the side branchlets. Then you go back again and trim the sides to the lengths you wish. That works for me in general with junipers. However, the tree needs to be healthy and strong. Trimming the tips will weaken the juniper a bit. Usually I trim back the tips in the upper areas of the tree first. It halts the dominance and lets me strengthen the lower portions of the tree. Kind of what you do with JBP in reverse: You address the stronger parts first.

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Rick36 wrote:.. Good luck and to others in Florida also.

It was only a rain event for us here in the Naples/ Bonita Springs area. A pic of Isaac at Bonita Beach this morning via iphone:

Torulosa Juniper - Page 3 Isaac810
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:59 pm

dorothy7774 wrote:
Bob Pressler wrote:Hey Dorothy great job on the Hollywood. I've had problems with juvenile foliage when I've cut back hard. That's why I mostly gave up on them. You don't seem to have that problem-what's the secret?

Hi Bob,
you trim the centers first (during the growing phases). Then you come back and conservatively trim the side branchlets. Then you go back again and trim the sides to the lengths you wish. That works for me in general with junipers. However, the tree needs to be healthy and strong. Trimming the tips will weaken the juniper a bit. Usually I trim back the tips in the upper areas of the tree first. It halts the dominance and lets me strengthen the lower portions of the tree. Kind of what you do with JBP in reverse: You address the stronger parts first.

Best,
Dorothy

Thanks, I'll give it another try.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Torulosa Juniper - Page 3 Empty virtual tree

Post  abcd Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:47 pm

I think a larger pot will be better, somme details off foliage
[img]Torulosa Juniper - Page 3 Junipe10[/img]
abcd
abcd