Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My itch with western bonsai "philosophy"

+6
JimLewis
LanceMac10
Precarious
Khaimraj Seepersad
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Bonsai Kas
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My itch with western bonsai "philosophy" - Page 2 Empty Re: My itch with western bonsai "philosophy"

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Kevin,

I came across a reference to US akadama, up in Navajo lands, so if someone simply asked a Geologist, you might just get a source. Clay soils are still the richest soils, but in a pot, hmmmmm?????????????????

As to large sales of pre-bonsai from China, well when I went to look at the nurseries in England, you chose what you wanted and left the rest.
Folk who buy mallsai or anything sai, just want toys and decoration, matters not if it is dead in a week or so many months. They would become bored with it anyhow. Like roses on Valentines day or Mother's day.
Mostly just insincere stuff.

BUT why would one want to sit and mull this type of stuff over and over???????

Prime Mover [ political correctness and all that ],

"grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And the wisdom to know the difference."

- Awaiting spring in Kevin ville.
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

My itch with western bonsai "philosophy" - Page 2 Empty Re: My itch with western bonsai "philosophy"

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:22 pm

thank you khai...

and not just for the spring wishes.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:14 am

Are any opinions worthy of such lengthy screeds?

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:44 am

That's the internet for you, John.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:57 pm

What can I say? Because I sure do love a good burger! Hahaa!
I've always had to develop my own trees from scratch. Like the way they used to do it. There are no bonsai nurseries within 200 miles of me.
As for soil components besides Akadama. Which from what I hear would last 1 winter here. Use what works for you where you live. The soil in all reality just holds the tree up.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:24 pm

M. Frary wrote:The soil in all reality just holds the tree up.

Uhhhh, that's not really my reality. Cation Exchange Simplified
Really!

Back to top Go down

Post  Bonsai Kas Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:19 pm

Mikeyeye put a very good source up here. Ion exchange is a very big added advantage of baked clay soil! I wonder if anyone ever tried pre-treating these soils with a basic or icidic flush to improve it's characteristics or make it a slightly acidic medium for azalea's?

If anyone is interested in an experiment I'd love to hear ideas.
Bonsai Kas
Bonsai Kas

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:30 pm

As Akadama goes,

if working on J.B pines for example, it must give great health and provide something extra for the Design. Perhaps, finer branching and denser/ smaller needles or both.

Perhaps those that have the know-how how to use it, have also grown plants in other soils and have visual proof that it is better.
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2