Japanerse crabapple

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Japanerse crabapple

Post  JimLewis on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:17 pm

This little tree is a result of a workshop Bill V offered here at the NC Arboretum in 2008 or 09.  It is actually three trees (at the time, 3 seedlings) with fused trunks.  I clamped them together with 2 or 3 zip ties, then let them grow.  They'd pretty much fused in 2 years.  This pic was taken this morning.  Much work yet to do on the top.  Tree is 6+ inches from pot.  Plans call for a 8-inch tee.

Pot is by Robert Wallace, a local bonsai potter. There's more on the pots forum.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Re: Japanerse crabapple

Post  Tom on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:38 pm

Great match between the trunk and pot.

Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:46 pm

wish i had that kinda luck with my fusion attempts...

and yeah great pot too !

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  Tentakelaertje on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:23 pm

Looks great man!
Could you give us a closeup of the trunk?

Tentakelaertje

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB on Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:57 pm

Will be a really neat little tree in a couple of years. Pictures again then please.

Jim I tried Robert Wallace's web site and a search in pots. No website and only a 2009 post in pots. Is he still active?

DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:24 pm

Yes.  He's still making pots.  But he may be too busy to maintain a website.  He teaches at a grade school and at a Community College and has two young, active children.

They sell his pots at the NC Arboretum shop, and a LOT of the Arboretum collection lives in his pots.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Nice tree, and haven't seen such nice compliment by a pot in a long time!

How did you prevent the trunk from bulging around the edges of the zip ties as growth occurred? scratch

Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:35 pm

Well, those zip ties are fairly wide, and they are flat. They just don't seem to cut into anything like wires do.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenLarry on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Lovely combo

GreenLarry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:50 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top