New Zealand Tea Tree (Leptospermum)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Zealand Tea Tree (Leptospermum)

Post  Barry M on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:48 pm

Hi - I did a search on this website regarding the New Zealand Tea Tree. I didn't find any postings regarding this plant but it sounds from my other readings like it's a VERY difficult bonsai to grow. Has anyone grown this tree and do you have any advice? (I tried growing it just as a houseplant several years ago and it soon died.)

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Re: New Zealand Tea Tree (Leptospermum)

Post  Justin Hervey on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:48 am

Hi Barry

Look for posts on this site by 'New Zealand Tea Tree' (I think that is his avatar), he has fantastic specimens and much experience.
Also: http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/cj/?cat=4&paged=2

Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry M on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:00 pm

Thank you Justin. Those are some very beautiful bonsais on the link you provided. The mames are amazing.

Barry M

Back to top Go down

New Zealand Tea Tree

Post  bonsaisr on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:04 am

Where are you keeping it? It is temptingly lovely, but extremely difficult. I killed several and gave up. I would recommend keeping it cool, very good drainage, bright light, and don't do too much at once.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry M on Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:09 am

bonsaisr wrote:Where are you keeping it? It is temptingly lovely, but extremely difficult. I killed several and gave up. I would recommend keeping it cool, very good drainage, bright light, and don't do too much at once.
Iris

I don't have one at the moment. The last one that I had died within a month.  I was just thinking about trying one again. But they sound like they are too temperamental - no room for error in watering or amount of sun. I'll choose something different.

Barry M

Back to top Go down

New Zealand Tea Tree

Post  bonsaisr on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:22 pm

Flowering bonsai are always special. Crabapples are always easiest to start with. The easiest flowering cherry, in my limited experience, is 'Akebono.' If you grow under lights, you will be disappointed in Serissa. If you can keep it alive the first few years, it makes a good indoor bonsai, but it is a short-day bloomer, so you only get flowers in spring and fall. Pomegranate is tricky in the north. It is not hardy, but requires a rest period. I'm still working on this. Lavender star flower (Grewia occidentalis) blooms all year under lights, but needs restyling after a few years because the branches get too thick. Chaenomeles are worth trying. Fukien tea is a bug magnet. Try Dragon's breath, Hemigraphis repanda. It is not a big bloomer if you keep it trimmed, but the flowers are lovely, like little orchids. You may have to try a lot of frog plants until you find a prince for your conditions.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:24 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum