A few questions from Va,USA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A few questions from Va,USA

Post  rrubberbandman on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:07 pm

Hello everyone!
As spring approaches, which cant come soon enough for my indoor tropicals, the warmer days have me wondering a few things....1st what temps are needed for me to move the tropicals outside....and also I have several that need the combo of root work and major crown/foliage reduction work that I felt would be better to wait till spring due to the early cool temps here last fall. So my question is which should I do first crown work or root work.
I hope my terminology is correct??
Thanks!
Bryan in Va.

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Re: A few questions from Va,USA

Post  Michael T on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:47 pm

Generally 50+ at night. Although mine have never suffered terribly at 40+ at night.

Michael T

Back to top Go down

Post  rrubberbandman on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks!

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:18 pm

And you can almost always do top work on a "tropical."

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Questions from Va.

Post  bonsaisr on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:15 pm

Be advised, tropicals is too broad a term. Many trees that people term tropicals are really subtropicals and benefit from cool temperatures. The gamut ranges from Serissa, which will take down to almost freezing and are very flexible in their schedule, to Florida buttonwood, which is a true tropical (although some people winter them on the cool side & they drop their leaves) and can only be repotted in the North in late June-early July. Learn more about the native habitat of the various species. For convenience, I put my tropicals out in the spring when the night temperature gets into the forties F. In the fall, I bring them in on the same basis, but the subtropicals, such as Serissa, pomegranate, and acacias, stay out until frost warning. Some require a cool rest above freezing before they go under the fluorescent lights (or into the greenhouse).
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  rrubberbandman on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:12 pm

thanks everyone!
Jim,
Are you saying that top work could be done right now??
Bryan

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:47 pm

Unless you have some odd species, you can work on Ficus, Sheffelara, and the like most of the year.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:38 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum